Buying a new or used GoPro video camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have (and use) a couple of the older HD Hero's - not even the HD Hero2. Image quality and overall performance is just fine, for my use. I recently added a Hero4 Silver to the stable, because I wanted to step up to using underwater filters, and pretty much couldn't find anything for the old style housings. To me, that means that if you stick with any kind of Hero3 of Hero4, you'll be good. I'm starting to dig having the LCD screen available. As far as filters, I went with the Backscatter Flip3.1 system.

I've found the low light performance of the new ones to be much better. The Hero4 Silver can be purchased new for $300 on sale.

If purchasing from ebay always ask if the serial number is in its proper place in the battery box and is readable prior to purchase or bidding. Upon receipt, run the serial number through the update program to verify if it is legit. If not, return it. Also look for cameras that have all the included extras including the box. This will give you a better idea of how well someone has cared for it. "Camera only" listings are often suspect as to their condition or legitimate ownership.

FYI, we sold our hero 3, bought the hero 4 silver then immediately regretted it! The back screen is fun and all but keeping the hero 3 as an extra would've also been a good idea... Don't get me wrong, LOVE the hero 4 silver, but if you buy a 3 used now and then decide to upgrade its still worth keeping it anyway :)

If purchasing from ebay always ask if the serial number is in its proper place in the battery box and is readable prior to purchase or bidding. Upon receipt, run the serial number through the update program to verify if it is legit. If not, return it. Also look for cameras that have all the included extras including the box. This will give you a better idea of how well someone has cared for it. "Camera only" listings are often suspect as to their condition or legitimate ownership.
Are there counterfeit GoPro cameras (not just clones)?

Are there counterfeit GoPro cameras (not just clones)?

There have been a number of reports of people entering serial numbers and the program indicating they are not valid. Whether these are counterfeits or ones that slipped out the back door of the factory and thus were never properly registered in the system is unknown. The bigger problem is ones sold outside of legitimate channels that have had the serial numbers removed to reduce trace-ability. Without the serial number, they cannot get firmware upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom