Buying a Neptune II face mask for pre-existing 1st&2nd stage combo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tao of the Dive

Rabid Otter Spotter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm purchasing a Neptune II FFM, and I want to connect it to my current Oceanic 1st and 2nd stage. I'm purchasing the quick disconnect for the FFM 2nd stage, but I'm not certain if that quick disconnect will be air tight. There are times I'll want a FFM, and times when I will prefer to wear a standard mask and therefor a standard 2nd stage. Will the Quick disconnect allow me to do this? Or will I have to take the hose out of the 1st stage everytime I wish to switch out? Also, if I have to back the hose out everytime, will I have to change the o-ring everytime?

QDs are supposed to be airtight, my hardhat has the bailout whip on a QD & never had a problem. We use SS hydraulic QD fittings though.
Our hookah rigs use QDs on the topside ends of the hoses & they're usually airtight too, they last a few seasons before needing to replace the O-rings.
Not sure about the Neptune. Oceanic has some very fine regs but that FFM leaves a whole lot to be desired.

Tao of the Dive:
I'm purchasing a Neptune II FFM, and I want to connect it to my current Oceanic 1st and 2nd stage. I'm purchasing the quick disconnect for the FFM 2nd stage, but I'm not certain if that quick disconnect will be air tight. There are times I'll want a FFM, and times when I will prefer to wear a standard mask and therefor a standard 2nd stage. Will the Quick disconnect allow me to do this? Or will I have to take the hose out of the 1st stage everytime I wish to switch out? Also, if I have to back the hose out everytime, will I have to change the o-ring everytime?

Your adding in a failure point but in a part of the system that is low pressure... Other than adding in an extra o-ring or two to your save a dive kit there is no problem and with the quick disconnect units I have seen. It will be air tight, make sure you order an extra fitting for your current second stage also...

If you do have to change out the hose between dives (and most FFM users do...) make sure you have the correct size wrench for both hoses if they are different. Inspect the hose o-ring and replace if worn or frayed but there is no reasin to replace it every switch.

Jeff Lane

Tao of the Dive:

You'll probably have a hard time getting a normal reg to work with that mask. It will probably free flow the whole time.

Even the badly detuned POS reg that comes with the neputune II freeflows if you look around (down). And if you look up it's like trying to draw a breath through 6 pairs of socks.

It's really a terrible bit of gear in my opinion. I would strongly advise you to try one before you decide to waste your money like this.

R..

Thanks for the input ya'll. Decided to deep six the FFM idea and buy a digital UW camera. I like my Oceanic too much to dive without it.

Tao of the Dive:
Decided to deep six the FFM idea and buy a digital UW camera. I like my Oceanic too much to dive without it.
For future reference, if the subject should FFM should come up again, have a look in the 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' section of the board.
You'll find several threads on FFMs with opinions of people who dive them. A lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom