buying 1st set of regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

problem almost solved...got a new Apeks XTX50 / DS4 at a dive show for a very good price but they had no octopus left, so now i need to grab one in order to have a full kit. what about the egress octopus? Would you consider it or just go for an XTX or ATX40 secondary?

Both regs have essentially the same 2nd stages......the Apeks [-]AquaLung[/-] 2nd stage is an Aqualung [-]Apeks[/-] design.
Both 1st stages are sealed diaphragms with similar performance......(my bet is that the Apeks has a better flow rate) not that it makes allot of difference once a certain level is reached.
They have the same gauges.
Same price.
One is new one isn't.
.........not a difficult choice.
Fixed it for you...

Aqualung is the parent company of Apeks, whether Apeks fans like it or not.

In my opinion the Legend is a superior reg and If I could not get the Scubaporo Mk 17 G250V, I'd be diving the Legend LX.

Did AquaLung have a balanced 2nd stage before their relationship with Apeks?

I like Oceanic regs better, because I feel they preform the same but are a lot less expensive.

The Egress is the best of the "hockey puck" style octos.......but I'd recommend you get a full size backup like your primary.

Did AquaLung have a balanced 2nd stage before their relationship with Apeks?
That's a good quesation.

Apeks has been around since about 1980, but I am not sure exactly when either Apeks or Aqualung came out with their first balanced second stages.

I am only familiar with Apeks going back to their original import to the US under the Zeagle badge (1990) when they had the T series of balanced 2nd stages (also used by Beuchat). These were the direct ancestors to the AT and XT series.
The only slight oddball was the RDX which although balanced had a plastic cap on the end of the air barrel like the Scubapro G200b.
To my knowledge USD have never had a balanced 2nd stage before their acquisition of Apeks although they did have the Impulse and Gulf (Kirby Morgan) adjustable 2nd stages but these were unbalanced with a cracking pressure adjustment knob.
The LX and Legend Aqualung 2nd stages have Apeks internals in a slightly different plastic case.

I actually did, I got a new XTX50 and an Egress octopus on a DS4 first stage. The price difference for the octopus wasn't the factor but i like the egress being flat design, less bulky, can be handed each way, left or right and it is balanced and has an heat exchanger. It is used by many people here in cold water too. Now only need a console, will probably get a nice, simple Termoindustria twin console with depth and air content...then it will be time to post in the Fins and BCD sections! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom