buying 1st set of regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

his_dudeness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello guys,

I am in the process of buying my first set of diving gear. I will dive regularly in cold water (Ireland) and hopefully, as often as I can, in warm, clear, tropical water too :)

I can get, within my budget, the following two sets of regs:

This set is 2nd hand, 4 years old but only used for the first year (10-15 dives) then stayed inactive:

Aqualung Legend Supreme LX ACD
Aqualung Legend Octopus

This other set is brand new:

Apeks ATX40 / DS4
Apeks ATX40 Octopus

Both have decent pressure gauges and consoles, so I wouldn't take them in the equation.

The Aqualung kit is top of the range but is 2nd hand...I will have it serviced of course but i was wondering if, having been stored inactive for 3 years, something could have gone wrong which may require more than just service.

The Apeks is brand new, not top of the range model, but I read great reviews of it and I am not sure if the lack of adjusting knob and possibly other features would make any real difference.

I would like to buy something that will potentially stay with me for years and be good even for deep diving in cold water.

What is your advice guys? Has anybody dived with both?

Thanks

Both regs have essentially the same 2nd stages......the AquaLung 2nd stage is an Apeks design.
Both 1st stages are sealed diaphragms with similar performance......(my bet is that the Apeks has a better flow rate) not that it makes allot of difference once a certain level is reached.
They have the same gauges.
Same price.
One is new one isn't.
.........not a difficult choice.

It really sounds that neither of them is much of a bargain......how much money btw?
The ATX model was replaced with the very similar XTX at least 5 years ago and a used reg shouldn't cost the same as a new one.

they are both around the same price, reasonably good deal here in Ireland. I was going to buy the new Apeks but then I heard about the aqualung set and got tempted. I would consider buying second hand regs if they where sensibly better than the ATX 40 in terms of performances, reliability, etc or have any definite benefit (but so far it is seems the only ones are the venturi adj knob and the extra HP on the 1st stage). Having not tried either of the two sets, I am trying to get a clearer picture

They're both very good regs and will breathe very similarly as they have the same 2nd stage.
Again performance wise I couldn't choose one over the other.
Both are very stable and can withstand very "extended" service intervals......I would expect the Legend will work perfectly after 3 years of rest.

You haven't mentioned if they come with a backup 2nd stage.......maybe this will be the deciding factor.

I dive the ATX40 / DS4 in cold water and am quite happy with it. The only difference between the ATX and the XTX is the replaceable diffuser. Not worth an extra hundred to me. The only difference to the 50 is the adjustable venturi. I have not personally felt its lack on my 40.

IMO, the ATX40 is a great value for a well regarded, great performing reg set.

And it will come with warranty.

I would go with ATX40. 1) They are new. 2) They are what tech divers use and may have a better resale value. 3) They can be upgraded to ATX50's for about 20 GBP. If you do the work yourself. The Legends are good regs also but if they were stored with some saltwater inside they can require additional cleaning time and parts.

IMO no question. If they are the same price buy the Apex as it is new.

You have no idea if the Legend is in great shape until you get it to a tech, its likely fine but could be a mess inside if it had saltwater inside sitting for years... the best thing the owner of the Legend could do is pay to have the reg serviced. After three years it is needed if for no other reason than to make sure its dive ready.

Thanks guys, what about the DS4 first stage having only 1 hp? Would the extra hp be useful for anything beside an additional wireless air gauge (which i wouldn't really consider using)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom