Buy or rent light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning to do at least one night dive during our AOW in Cozumel this summer. I am deliberating whether I need to purchase a light or just rent one at the shop as its only $6 per day and I am not sure how many night dives we're going to do...Thanks.

Decent lights can get very expensive very quickly. I would suggest just renting the light as you need it. Otherwise, you run the risk of going off half-cocked and buying a light you think you can grow into, but you realize it's a paperweight with a lightbulb attached. I have a little Princeton light I use. It would be inadequate for a night dive, but its great for lighting up those little nooks. Even this light cost me $50. You would come out cheaper just renting, unless you plan on doing alot of night diving in the future.

From a pure economics point of view renting your primary light makes sense. From an experience point of view, rental lights are often "iffy", and batteries are not often fresh, so your entire night diving experience can hang in the balance of these critical items.

My recommendation would be for you to consider renting your primary light, but owning a good quality back-up light, with fresh batteries, that may in the end save your dive! Plus you have the added benefit of a handy light that is small enough to take on daytime dives to peer under ledges, in holes, etc, and improve your dive experience. A good back-up light can be had for $20-$40, and many, such as Princeton, Pelican or Tektite, come with a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps!

From a pure economics point of view renting your primary light makes sense. From an experience point of view, rental lights are often "iffy", and batteries are not often fresh, so your entire night diving experience can hang in the balance of these critical items.

My recommendation would be for you to consider renting your primary light, but owning a good quality back-up light, with fresh batteries, that may in the end save your dive! Plus you have the added benefit of a handy light that is small enough to take on daytime dives to peer under ledges, in holes, etc, and improve your dive experience. A good back-up light can be had for $20-$40, and many, such as Princeton, Pelican or Tektite, come with a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps!

That certainly makes sense considering I was talking about Mexico. Can you recommend any specific models that are inexpensive and reliable - there's a lot of talk on this forum but what is required from a back-up light? Thanks!

Most 95% of rec. diving is non-night diving. Simply just look back your log book. How many night dives have you made or how many over-head environment dives (Cavern/Cave, Wreck Penetration) have you made last year?

I have seen many rec. divers who are always bring the canister light even in the hottest summer day diving. Mostly, it was never needed at all.

Oh~~ well... You have to bring it always because are are a techie.... OK.. that is a different story.:rofl3:

Just get a decent back up light (eLed one) and rent the primary one whenever you need. The light is like an electronic stuff. It is regularly updated.

Another vote for the small back-up that can double as a primary light if needed.

I always carry a light with me on every dive, along with a see-me tube and whistle but that is another thread.......:)

All the vacation night dives I have done, the dive Op always asked if I needed a light (and was never charged) so I would always take the "store" light........

That way I had a backup for the night dive - I would use the better of the two (mine of the stores) for the dive..........

As far as lights........many choices, but go LED - longer battery life and very durable.

In a recent review of lights by Scuba Diver magazine - the ScubaPro Fuego looked pretty good.........

I carry a Princeton Tech Torrent........

Hope this helps.......M

SCUBAPRO Fuego
The Fuego is a traditional-style pocket light that's powerful enough to be used as a primary light, yet compact enough to fit in most BC pockets. The light runs on four C-cells and a single five-watt LED delivered the brightest hot spot in its group with a two-foot-wide beam and enough of a halo (about three feet out from the beam's edge) to illuminate the periphery on a night dive. It has a rubberized co-molded body that allows for a good grip and a locking On/Off switch that you can activate one-handed. If we could only have one light for both day and night diving, the Fuego would be our clear choice. But deep divers should beware of its 200-foot max depth limit.

Attachments

• Scubapro.jpg
    Scubapro.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 54
Most 95% of rec. diving is non-night diving. Simply just look back your log book. How many night dives have you made or how many over-head environment dives (Cavern/Cave, Wreck Penetration) have you made last year?

That night dive is going to be my first. Thanks.

Althoug the advices on the light renting are all sound,it also depends on where you are going to make the majority of your dives.
a.Just in the tropics-for the one or two night dives-just rent one.
b.If backhome and if its dark or murky-buy a good one.
c.Diving deeper-where you'll lose the color-buy one.
d.Looking under rocks,in small holes or caves(looking in that is) buy one.

Hey 3 out of 4 say buy.:D but it depends on your type of diving.

Hope it helps (a bit)
Have FUN.

That night dive is going to be my first. Thanks.

If then, rent it definitely.. You don't know what you need/like.

A light power is also very subjective depending on the divers. Some divers said it is enough, but others said it isn't.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom