Buy canister light or design custom light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking the same thing. The d520s aren't bad lights, a bit pricey for what they are but even so seems for $250 you could build that light. (maybe cheaper if you can convince orcatorch to ship you bare lights)

Really seems like all that is needed is an adapter plate on a standard Goodman handle and you would be set. Wonder if you could 3D print it with sufficient strength to trust it, maybe with metal nut inserts?

Anyways, I personally like the idea. Even cheaper if you consider you can use just one of the d520s as your primary when rec diving. If you want to collaborate I'd be in to try.

3d printing for a prototype, but for the actual I would use stainless steel plate or machine something from aluminum on a CNC mill

I think the Alien uses POM, which I think is pretty strong. I could see steel possibly being a problem just because then you have AL next to it and that's going to increase corrosion potential. In an ideal world I think it would be neat if we could build something using standard parts and share a file you could get a high end 3d printer firm to make for you. Assemble at home and presto!

I replicated the Alien light like ISE’s. I did make some of my own few adaptations to avoid any patent issues. Also for my own liking. I still used the orca torch so the comment of cheap? Well
Let’s say I have over 700 dives on it, 300+ are technical dives, and now 51 long rebreather tech dives too. Never an issue, it also out illuminated all but one of the canister lights my buddies have been using. So I’ll vouche for the Orcas and the alien light design. Personally like NOT having the light cord and additional bulk of the canister.

Btw, the alien light and my design both use derlin for the mounting and aluminum for the handle itself

I replicated the Alien light like ISE’s. I did make some of my own few adaptations to avoid any patent issues. Also for my own liking. I still used the orca torch so the comment of cheap? Well
Let’s say I have over 700 dives on it, 300+ are technical dives, and now 51 long rebreather tech dives too. Never an issue, it also out illuminated all but one of the canister lights my buddies have been using. So I’ll vouche for the Orcas and the alien light design. Personally like NOT having the light cord and additional bulk of the canister.

Btw, the alien light and my design both use derlin for the mounting and aluminum for the handle itself

Totally agree on the Orcatorch, it's a solid light. Seems a bit pricey for what it is is all.

Is it patent pending? And if so in the US? Seems EU made.

Interesting on the delrin. I thought one of the videos mentioned POM but maybe they changed that up.

How did you make the delrin parts? Custom or have them printed?

Have any pics?

The "NEW" alien light comes in an array of poorly designed and ill fitting disassembled pieces

full.jpg

The stainless handle is folded incorrectly, out of square, still has protective plastic applied
and is so sharp you could shave with it

full.jpg

instead of incorporating a curved pad for the top of the hand as with the original
the new alien is only rectangular making for easier shaping during manufacture

A disgrace, may as well drill some holes in a block of wood

THE ORCA TORCH IS BRILLIANT
I enjoy trying to set them so they come on through pressure at a particular depth

POM = DELRIN

Totally agree on the Orcatorch, it's a solid light. Seems a bit pricey for what it is is all.

Is it patent pending? And if so in the US? Seems EU made.

Interesting on the delrin. I thought one of the videos mentioned POM but maybe they changed that up.

How did you make the delrin parts? Custom or have them printed?

Have any pics?

I don’t have any up close pics I am willing to share yet. I currently am working on my own patents. But if you look at my avatar. It’s on my left hand.

The "NEW" alien light comes in an array of poorly designed and ill fitting disassembled pieces

View attachment 510043

POM = DELRIN

Huh, that's a bit crazy, that top plate looks completely flat. Are they depending on the Delrin deforming to fit when you crank on the bolts? I wouldn't have expected that.

Why wouldn't you just use a standard Goodman handle, seems they are plenty flexible from a bolting perspective.

Right, POM is Delrin, thanks, discovered that with a few minutes of googling shortly water my last post. Looks like there are quite a few firms that will CNC machine parts to order even with small batches so seems very doable.

All this talk of patents is a bit funny, I'd be surprised if anybody managed to get one and on which part exactly. Either way, I can't start on this just yet but I plan to come up with a design to share for anybody to take advantage of if they send plans in to a printer or machiner.

Also there must be something I'm missing but why in the world aren't the torches rotated ninety degrees so the flat sides are what is clamped on the top and bottom? I thought that was the whole reason they were using those torches in the first place.

I've been meaning to do a 3 light handle using either dive rite cx1 or xtar d26. I am going to use a 1" cutting board cut to size and then ssnd the inside to make a rounded contour that fits on top of your hand comfortably. The bottom then has either a vrlcro strap or thick bungee that attaches it to your palm. I've seen it done and its pretty slick. Easy and cheap as a test. Once perfected it can be machined or 3D printed. There are slso quite a few designs already on thingiverse.com

A few ideas below:
Screenshot_20190128-231136.png

Screenshot_20190110-083043.png

Screenshot_20190104-145804.png

Screenshot_20190109-192331.png

Back
Top Bottom