Buy an amber/red filter or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billy, you should try your idea with the lighting gels. If you can't white balance the filters can't hurt. At least your photos will have some red replaced. Really, the best solution to this is strobes. A good external strobe.

If you do try the gels, be aware, that if they get crinkled, you'll see that in the photos probably. The magic filters are rigid :wink:

Empty V:
I can't white balance so how does that play?

Billy

Check out these processes for photos taken underwater without a strobe and without manual white balance and without filters.

This one for Photoshop.
This one for Paint Shop Pro.

howarde:
Billy, you should try your idea with the lighting gels. If you can't white balance the filters can't hurt. At least your photos will have some red replaced. Really, the best solution to this is strobes. A good external strobe.

If you do try the gels, be aware, that if they get crinkled, you'll see that in the photos probably. The magic filters are rigid :wink:

I think I'm going to try a bunch of different color correcting and party gels on my next boat trip, I will report what I have discovered. I haven't seen the filters in person that are sold for this type of photography, but on my computer they look just like Full CTO.

Gilligan:
Check out these processes for photos taken underwater without a strobe and without manual white balance and without filters.

This one for Photoshop.
This one for Paint Shop Pro.

I never thought about screwing with layers, very cool concept thanks!

Billy

Empty V:
I think I'm going to try a bunch of different color correcting and party gels on my next boat trip, I will report what I have discovered. I haven't seen the filters in person that are sold for this type of photography, but on my computer they look just like Full CTO.

I never thought about screwing with layers, very cool concept thanks!

Billy

I don't know much about which gel colors are called what... I'm a sound guy, not a lighting guy :wink: But a filter will alter the results, and add in the colors that the water is taking out - The Red. - I use an Ikelite UR Pro Color Correcting filter when I shoot video, and it produces excellent results.

Just a word of caution about the "mandrake process" in photoshop. Sometimes (quite often IMO) it's a little drastic. While it does make really blue shots witout a strobe at all look better, it can often over-do it.

Humm I remember a saying:
"There`s no free beer"
The "red filter adding red color to you picture" story is awkwardly told.
There is no way a FILTER will ADD light of a determined color...
Otherwise it would be called something like a Red "ADDER" not a FILTER.

Red Filter (as the name is said) filters light... letting all of red light pass, some of yellow and magenta, very little blue and green, and no cyan.
As you go down you will have no red light to pass your red filter. At the surface, it seems fine, but to the trained eye it not only loose the nice blue punch power but also does not summon all the red that the object must have.

Personally I dont like filter photos. They are very sad looking pics to me. If I shoot color, I want COLOR!!! I have grown pursuing images from photograpers like Lionel Pozzoli, Carlos Minguell, from the European line of UWPhoto. And to me red (magic) filter are sad low saturated images, reminding me of the first published UW image in National Geographic

195058282_e4437449bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom