Business Trip to Sydney - Need Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmludwig76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone -

I have a last minute business trip to Sydney, and have never been to Australia before and really have no idea of what is in the area there. I am staying at the Amora hotel if anyone there is familiar.

I'm looking to do a couple of dives on the weekend; I have tried researching some companies but it's really difficult to make an assessment on quality of dive shops, locations, etc. I tend to prefer larger life in the water (went to Cocos Island early this year and loved it); any combination of sharks, turtles, octopus, etc as opposed to fish.

Can anyone provide some quick advise on dive shops, dive locations, etc?

I've dove with Abyss and had a great experience. Think they used to do free guided shore dives on weekends as well, nice with the price of diving in Australia. I don't think there are really sites with the opportunity to see a lot of sharks (although I saw my first Port Jackson shark there), but a local would have more insight into that than me. Great macro life, especially nudibranchs, and a good opportunity to see the weedy sea dragon.

Dive Center Manly has proven to be a winner every time we have gone there! Check them out!

If you are keen to get in the water with some decent sized but harmless sharks you could drive 4 hrs or so north to South West Rocks and be sure of seeing Grey Nurse Sharks (Sand Tiger Sharks).
Or a bit further north - Coffs Harbour for diving at South Solitary Island. Turtles and heaps of same sharks - Banana Coast Divers.

Have dived with a DM from Abyss in Sydney he seemed proficient and have heard nothing bad about them. The free guided shore dives just cost the hire gear at around $70 for a double.

If you want to get out of Sydney to the south you could go to Wollongong and find some shore diving for cost of hire gear.

Abyss is another good operation. Peter Letts, the owner is first class and a PADI Course Director, and runs a great dive center.

I just came back from diving Rock Fish Island with South West Rocks Diver Center. They have accomodation and will pick you up from the train station. Kev runs the business and they are very helpful and well organized. I had two great dives with them and highly recommend them and the site.

Google them at South West Rocks Dive Center.

what do you mean by non commercial?

Frogdive Willoughby do a weekly shoredive which is free... you even get a snag when you head back to the store.

snag = australian slang for sausage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom