Burning Question - Answer Desperately Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ricky Murchison and I were sitting on the bow of the Wet Dream today as we reluctantly returned to Pensacola from the Oriskany. We were discussing important stuff like which beer is best - the kind where the pop-top stays on the can or the kind where it pulls off.

Well - The question just hit us. Is a group of flying fish called a school or a covey while they're flying through the air. Since they are gliding - could they be called a gaggle??

We won't sleep until we know the answer!

Just keep switching from each type of beer can until an answer reveals itself :D

Report on the Oriskany?

If you have your Browning "Sweet Sixteen" gold trigger, Auto-5 with you and a good retriever, it's called a covey!!!! :D

:blackbat: :m16:

the K-ovey Buster

Since flying fish (Exocoetidae) don't really "fly", but simple escape from predators by swimming out of the water, whatever category is used to describe them when air-born must also be used to describe leaping dolphins, whales and ascending PADI divers.

BTW, there are called a "mess" when fried in beer batter.

I'd prefer to think thery're a "flight".

"Uh, Black Bart LZ, this is Kraken-Six with a flight of 16 for your log pad. We'll be coming in lima-lima on a southern approach, Over . . ."

the K

Rick Inman:
Since flying fish (Exocoetidae) don't really "fly", but simple escape from predators by swimming out of the water, whatever category is used to describe them when air-born must also be used to describe leaping dolphins, whales and ascending PADI divers...
OH...

well in that case they would be called a "cluster" of flying fish...

:D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Just keep switching from each type of beer can until an answer reveals itself :D
I knew someone here would have the answer!
SuPrBuGmAn:
Report on the Oriskany?
Here's my report.
I'm sure Tommy will post one too. :)
Rick

OK Rick - leave it to you to fling a hongry on me............. I ain't never ate no flying fish though............. Are there hushpuppies involved?

Rick Inman:
BTW, there are called a "mess" when fried in beer batter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom