Burn Time Of this Ebay Combine Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlito35

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could someone help me what would be the burn time with 4000mh batteries (2--3.7V 18650) of this light with 4X CREE XML L2 LED

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251497055100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Most lights with these four emitters use four of the above mentioned batteries not two. I suspect the batteries will burn maybe at most two hours?

Is there someway or some other battery I can use to get more life than these? Better if I use the 26650 variety? Thanks.

Last edited:
catch is that there is no battery data you can buy yourself (with that you choose yourself start parameters.... and

quality ) very good with cca 4500mA@7,2V which gives cca 32,4 Wh max - single XML at prescripted use runs with

cca 10W consumption (now 4 of them uses....) ....now calculate all other is just manipulation (and must be very good driver inside )

and 6500 lm (much better for that light is number 4000lm ) if possibly can get give you 1/2 hour max (of course battery must be size 26650 ) in hacked overdriven light

cruel world isn't it ?

Last edited:
That LED series has a rated max mA forward current rating of 3000.
The driver will probably not drive them at that rating...lets assume it will drive the LED's at 2500mA.

Cheap batteries will probably NOT have their rated capacity or be able to output this mA number.
Driver efficiency assumed to be 100% (impossible...less than 90% more realistic).

Actual 4000mAh of battery capacity (x2).

Best case probably: 48 minutes.
But, the LEDs will probably be driven at less than that, the driver will probably be less than 90% efficient.

This light doesn't specify which bin LED they are using, so actual Lumen output can be all over the place, but nowhere near their claim (on that ebay add).

Assume a best case scenario of 2400 to 2700 lumen output for about 40 minutes on 2 good quality 4000mAh batteries.
Use good 26650 batteries instead of 18650. They are thicker and can be found with more mAh capacities for longer burn time.

My opinion, skip this light.
Get some of the other ones that have been mentioned on SB (theres one for about $35 with 3x XML U2 LEDs).

Yep my experience is that it's maximum output is around 2500-3000 lumens it is very bright with focused hot spot much brighter than most flashlights including the one u mention. I'm ran a time test now with two 4000mh 18650. Ultrafire. Lasted 30 minutes on max setting.

Which type of battery can I use to get more time? What makes the 26650 series better? The flashlight can use either.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2014 at 12:56 PM ----------

Which type of battery can I use to get more time? What makes the 26650 series better? The flashlight can use either.

26650 is a physically bigger battery, thus it can potentially have more capacity.
Find good quality 26650 batteries, in the largest mAh rating you can find, and that will give you the longest running time.

I mentioned the other light because it is cheaper, and will burn for longer with the same batteries (compared to the one you listed).

Do you have both lights ? (the one I mentioned and the one you listed) ?

update Ultra fire Batteries suck. Can't exceed 40 minutes with any pair of 18650s. My experience with Trustfire 500mah 26650 even worse. Could not exceed 30 minutes with three separate pairs of them. It looks like the chinese manufacturers of batteries do not do a good job of rating their cells. I have coming a pair or King Kong and Enerpower to see if I can get to one hour burn time. If not I'll ahve to find another option I need at least an hour burn time on full power. Any ideas?

Success. Kingkong 26650 batteries are by far the best I get over an hour and a half with them. US retailer too in Washington only about $11 each. Fantastic. Amazing how much worse the ultrafire and trustfires were. Amazingly bad. KingKong rocks. Love this light now, Very well made. Nice time. And folks its just a flood underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom