burn test on Monitor back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After hearing all the negatives about the monitor back for the GoPro hero2, I decided to go ahead and do a burn test on mine that I just purchased.

Sitting here at my desk, I turned on my GoPro2 and the monitor back comes on automatically. Then I started recording. After 22 minutes, the battery indicator still showed 3 ticks left (our of 4 ticks). I noticed the whole unit seemed warm, so I turned off, let it cool for 20 minutes, then turned everything back on including record. Once again, 20+ minutes running recording... still showing 3 ticks. I turned off the unit (once again it seemed very warm to touch). I thought maybe it wasn't really recording, so I removed the card and popped it into my computer. Sure enough, there were 2 HUGE files that had recorded. I deleted them, of course.

So.... that tells me the monitor back does not seem to drain the battery as quickly as everyone here said. Right? Over 40 minutes full record video mode with monitor back LCD on.

I looked at the battery, and it is my Wasabi battery,, not the original GoPro battery.

NOTE: I did take each of my 3 batteries (Original GoPro, 2 Wasabi) and charge them on my wall charger yesterday. All of the batteries charged for what seemed like a very long time, at least 3 hours each I am guessing but I was not checking them very often. Maybe they were reconditioning them? I haven't used my GoPro but maybe 3-4 times in the past year, and maybe not recharged all 3 batteries in that time either.

Comments???

robin
11 days til CocoView Resort and Roatan dive dive dive!!!

Burn test today on the GoPro original battery.... it definitely does not last as long. After 30 minutes recording, with the monitor on most of that time, the battery showed 1/2 left. The GoPro battery is smaller, 1100mAh, so this makes sense, but ...

Burn test today on the GoPro original battery.... it definitely does not last as long. After 30 minutes recording, with the monitor on most of that time, the battery showed 1/2 left. The GoPro battery is smaller, 1100mAh, so this makes sense, but ...

so after 30 mins showed 1/2 left --- gopro said would only get about an hour's worth of recording on the std battery with the lcd anyways... so this would be on target.

so after 30 mins showed 1/2 left --- gopro said would only get about an hour's worth of recording on the std battery with the lcd anyways... so this would be on target.

yeah, I agree. I am sure with turning it on and off doing clips, it will drain a bit faster, but I wanted to check and see what the deal is with it since so many people here complain that it is a battery sucker. It just doesn't seem to be, IMHO.
What I do see as an issue.... HEAT. It does seem to heat up, and maybe people are having it cut off due to overheating, rather than battery being drained.

I will probably do another test... one with it inside the housing, with dessicant packs, running to see if that happens.

robin
8 days until CocoView Resort, Roatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom