Buoyancy problems – can’t get horizontal,

How long did it take you to feel comfortable with your buoyancy?

• I'm not comfortable about it yet

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 25 dives

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • 50 dives

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 100 or more dives

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to see another gal who wants to show better than just average form. Most of the replys seem to offer good sugestions, I think you'll find that tank position has rather limited effect, compared to weight position. Most women that I see trimmed well, have BC's with trim pockets. Typically they have 2 or 3 lbs in each side, depending on exposure protection. This allows them to have less weight on the waist/hip area. You don't mention what exposure protection you wear, but there's a big trim difference between a tropical shorty and a full suit with the bouyancy of the neoprene from the thigh to ankle to keep the legs up . If you don't have trim pockets on your bc, check on some of the ways to use regular weights on a cam band on your tank. It's always so much easier to look under a ledge standing on your head so your feet stay off the bottom.
Move some weight closer to the top of your tank and you'll be "on the level".

Darlene

I am glad this old thread got resurrected again since I just got my next holiday planned (67 days to go… :) )!! And I am hoping to improve my skills then.

I think I am not quite neutral yet – as mentioned, on my last trip I dropped a lot of weight and that made things much better, but I could probably loose a little more.

I still haven't bought all my own gear, and at the moment, I can't really afford a BCD.

With rental gear, would I normally be able to use weights in the trim pockets or on the tank? As suggested by a few people. Is there something I should bring with me (without buying the BCD itself) to enable this for my next holiday?

but there's a big trim difference between a tropical shorty and a full suit with the buoyancy of the neoprene from the thigh to ankle to keep the legs up

So far I have mainly dived in warm water in a 3mm suit (full length). Although I just did my dry suit course so I will soon be braving the cold waters of the UK.

Suzana once bubbled...
With rental gear, would I normally be able to use weights in the trim pockets or on the tank? As suggested by a few people. Is there something I should bring with me (without buying the BCD itself) to enable this for my next holiday?
Your rental BC might not have trim pockets. If you bring a 1# and a 2# soft ankle weight, then you can adjust your trim by putting one or both around the tank valve.

If you don't want to bring 3 pounds of lead, then at least bring a bit of bungee cord or webbing that you could use to strap a small weight block to the tank neck.

When I rent gear I always also bring along a snorkel keeper or two and a couple of big rubber bands to secure loose gear like octopus and console.

I had many problems finding buoyancy when I was certifying..We were using aluminum 80s @ 12lbs...the very next week end we bought our own lp steel 80s @ 6lbs and wah lah buoyancy was acheived...Remember your BC is not an elevator :) I was told that lots while certifying :)
Good Luck
Time and Practice

Back
Top Bottom