Buoyancy on 3/2 scubapro full suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many lbs + is the average 3/2 fullsuit?

Buoyancy depends on the size of the suit, how old it is and how it's been used, and how tightly it's stretched while you're wearing it, among others.

There's no way to know without you doing a buoyancy check while wearing it.

Terry

If you just need a ballpark guess as a starting point for adjusting buoyancy, try 4 pounds for a typical L or XL 3/2 fullsuit. That's the approximate buoyancy of my O'neill 3/2 XL size wetsuit, and Scubapro suit is probably in the same range.

My Neosport XXL 3/2 was 7 lb when new.

Web Monkey - How is tightness a variable in suit buoyancy?

I put each piece of my neoprene in a pool with a bag attached to add weights until it is within a lb of neutral and then log the results.

Lots of answers (factors) for your very generic question.

Bouyancy is also dependent on the salinity of your environment (I use a tad more weight in the Gulf of California (saltier) than in Key Largo), your physical makeup & size, then add your gear (ie AL tank vs. Steel tank), and add what webmonkey said about fit & age of suit, etc. Not to mention that the "average 3/2 fullsuit" can vary depending on size (xs = less neoprene than xxl = more neoprene).
My ex & I both dove in 3mm stretch suits and used the same 8lbs in the same waters, however he weighed 200 all muscle, I weighed 130 typical female fat deposits (those that make us curvy make us floaty).
Experience also effects your bouyancy/lead. The more relaxed and practiced you are in the water, the less lead you need. My lead (described above, started out at 11lbs in that suit and after 50 dives I had tweeked down to 8lbs with better bouyancy control (and maybe a bit of new wetsuit compression/age too).
What are you currently diving? If diving 7mm, drop about 30% or more of your current lead, if diving in just a bathing suit, add a few pounds, etc. Adjust by trial and error.
...There's no way to know without you doing a buoyancy check while wearing it.

I wasn't looking for a dead on answer... just a starting point. Thanks guys :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom