Buoyancy Issue - When Hovering Rolling to the Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
D
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the issue when I'm attempting to hover and I automatically roll to the right? My weights are evenly distributed, I'm weighted appropriately, and I have a short steel tank. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

What happens if you add a pound to the left side? Also keep in mind flash lights knifes and other gear have weight to it.Also you could have air setting on that side.

What is the issue when I'm attempting to hover and I automatically roll to the right? My weights are evenly distributed, I'm weighted appropriately, and I have a short steel tank. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Do you have any air in your BC? If so, it may be that it’s migrating more to the left. Try hovering again and if you still roll to the right, temporarily roll left, then back to centre to see if it corrects. You may even hear air burping in your BC as it moves. If not, then there must be a weight imbalance somewhere.

I was diving with a group of former students, and one of my former students came to me laughing after having finished his dive. He said I reminded him of an old vaudeville joke. A man tells his doctor that it hurts when he does something, and the doctor says, "Don't do that."

What he was talking about was that earlier in the day he had described a situation similar to the one in this thread, and he asked what he could do about it. He said my response was along the lines of "Don't do that." He had just done a dive, and my advice worked perfectly.

What you are describing is very common with new divers. It is very much like a new bicycle rider tipping over. You'll eventually get over it without doing anything more than trying not to do it. You especially see it when people first learn to dive with steel double tanks. All that weight on top of them keeps tipping them over. When I first started diving doubles, I wondered if I was wearing the tanks or the tanks were wearing me. Then, suddenly, like a miracle, that all goes away.

One other point as you’re using a steel cylinder; make sure the BC is a close fit and the cylinder itself doesn’t flop around. Try to picture the cylinder being perfectly inline with your spine and only move on that axis. You’ll quickly get used to that fine sweet spot of being perfectly balanced and be able to use your core to make the tiniest adjustments.

Do you have any air in your BC? If so, it may be that it’s migrating more to the left. Try hovering again and if you still roll to the right, temporarily roll left, then back to centre to see if it corrects. You may even hear air burping in your BC as it moves. If not, then there must be a weight imbalance somewhere.
+1

@delaine4339 just for fun, you might try moving 1 kg/2 lbs more to the left side and see if it's better.

There's some imbalance somewhere, which could be your specific weight placement in relation to your tank (some weights closer/further from your tank on each side); the tank not securely held; a loose fitting BCD; other gear/accessories; or once your BCD is holding air on one side, it tends to stay there until you roll to the opposite side and move the bubble to the centre.

These little nuances happen more often to smaller people, and small corrections (moving weights an inch or two) can relieve the imbalance. Having the weight too far to the back, adding to the tank weight, rather than some near the front of the body, can also start someone tipping one way or the other. For larger people who have more "real estate", there's a lot more tolerance to imbalances before they tip you over.

Hope that helps... :)

I don't have any advice but I have this exact same issue... 3 pool sessions deep into OW. You're not alone :D

Could be something you don't realize your doing. See if you can dive with someone experienced and have them watch you. Often new divers move without realizing they are doing it causing rolling etc.

As said above make sure your tank doesn't move shift.

If not that try moving a pound from one side to another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom