Buoyancy Control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sayang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm having problems with my buoyancy control.

There are a couple of things I'm adjusting to:
- pool vs. ocean
- new gear
- overweighting (my instructor only provides me with 5 lb weights, so I use 2 for balance but I feel I'm over weighted, I sink like a rock)

There is no Peak Performance Buoyancy course being offered at this time so I'd like to practice on my own if possible. Can anyone suggest exercises or activities that I can do for practice?

Any other tips or tricks? It takes painstaking and slow 'calibration' for me to be able to hover. I'd be a pathetic DM if I can't even do that.

Are you saying that your prior diving has been in the ocean, and now you are trying to adapt to the pool?

If you are seriously overweighted, you are going to have problems with pinpoint buoyancy. It might even be worth your money to invest in a couple of smaller weights, if ten pounds is seriously too heavy. Getting used to new gear just requires time.

But, I'm going to give you some advice you didn't ask for, and it's worth what you paid for it :)) ). I don't think anyone who is having to do careful calibration to hover is ready to begin a DM class. A DM may be faced with all kinds of situations with students where one's own diving skills have to be second nature. I had to chase a diver up into the water column in the dark the other night; he had lost buoyancy control, and I had to maintain mine in midwater while helping him stabilize. I think solid and unshakeable personal skills SHOULD be the prerequisite for starting a DM class, because heaven knows, there is nothing IN the class that helps you solidify them.

To answer your question of exercises, etc.: First, do a proper weight check in whatever gear and water you are diving. Then, work on arranging your gear and weights so that you can hover in a horizontal position without sculling. Then work on being able to do all the basic skills in that position -- mask flood and clear, remove and replace, regulator remove and replace, regulator donation. Eventually, you should be able to hover in the shallow end of the pool and perform all of those skills.

I'll second TSandM's comments. Why are you pursuing Divemaster at this point? You clearly haven't yet MASTERED all aspects of recreational diving. If all you have to use are the 5 lb weights your instructor gives you, you clearly don't own your own equipment. In my opinion, you shouldn't be pursuing DM if you haven't MASTERED recreational diving and if you can't provide ALL of your own equipment. Equipment that has become absolutely second nature to you so that you can assist students without giving your own kit a second thought.

My advice to you would be to get more experience first. Pinpoint buoyancy control only comes with experience and ALOT of diving.

As with Lynn's advice, mine is worth what you paid for it. But it comes heartfelt. Do with it what you will.

No need to repeat what TSandM said, all excellent advice and comments. As to your weights, if you are only "provided" with weights that you say are obviously too much, why not simply buy your own weights? Having a selection of 1, 2, and 3 lb weights will allow you to adapt relatively quickly and easily as needed. For pool use, two of each will cover you for all contingencies. As someone with aspirations to be a DM you need to get into the mindset of having your own equipment.

Hoosier beat me too it! Damn iPad!

I have to agree with the rest, if simply changing from salt to fresh or different gear is difficult for you, you need to become more proficient with your buoyancy skills before considering becoming a DM. It's not uncommon for me to carry 4 or more pounds of extra weight for students and possibly hand them off or accept more during a dive or to be required to place/retrieve/ move items underwater at any given time. Your buoyancy skills also need to be second nature and not require any real effort on your part, you have way too much to do to have the luxury of stopping for an extended period to work on your own buoyancy needs.

TSandM hit the nail on the head with her 'free advice'. DM training isn't the time or place to perfect your core diving skills. Join the course with those areas still deficient and you're unlikely to get the best value/progression out of the course in respect of dive leadership. Find a dive centre/instructor who ​lets​ you join the course with those areas still deficient and you know you've found a place that just wants your money and doesn't care about quality.... IMHO

While agreeing with spot on information and editorials presented by those who have responded to this point, I want to encourage you. I want to stress owning proper equipment and also working on the skill, and it is a skill, of proper weighting. "Sinking like a rock" is conclusive evidence of overweighting. Instructors sometimes want to get a new student down, and initial experience for the student is often one of using more weight than they will need after they get comfortable in the water. So keep a log of equipment worn on each dive and and weight used. Also note the venue and conditions- salt, fresh, warm, cold, etc. You will create your own "guide to weighting." Also note changes in you own weight, as that can also impact weighting. No doubt one day you can be fine dive professional. But for now, listen to the voices speaking on this thread. You aren't ready yet.
DivemasterDennis

Something to note to all the people saying "be correctly weighted"... I don't think I've ever completed at least the first day of an OW course being "correctly weighted" I've always had at least 3lb extra (nominal weight for me is 12lb when diving in cool water).

DM's need to carry at least some extra weight for the first ocean dives so they can pass it to students who aren't heavy enough after the pool (or forget to get the correct amount of weights) Also you need to account for extra gear (reels, dive flags, things to amuse students while they're waiting to be assessed... etc etc...)

I do however agree with getting decent gear and making sure you are weighted in the right areas. The difference in my buoyancy control between hire gear and my BC is enough to notice the difference and now feel uncomfortable for the first 10min.

play around with weight pockets and belts work out which is better and use it. sit in ~3m of water with little visual references to concentrate on and just sit. play with your gear, meditate, learn to frog kick if you don't know how... just spend time in the water.

if your number of dives are accurate then it's okay to still be a little rusty with trim, just keep diving to get better.

Basics: 1. weight check to get proper amount
2. spread weights around (BC pockest-belt-shoulder pockets?) & experiment to achieve being level horizontally.
3. fresh vs. salt water= 5-6 pounds less for fresh.
4. if given a set amount of weight for pool (or salt water) during class (that will not be proper weighting for you, by a little or more than a little), don't even expect to be able to hover relatively well without unreasonably filling your lungs to capacity and emptying them all the way at times. Those circumstances are extremely difficult for almost anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom