Buoy Management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funrecdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How do various dive centers in Thailand cooperate on buoy management?

For example, buoys on wrecks in the Pattaya area have traditionally been paid for and maintained by a limited number of dive centers.

Buoys can be expensive, as the general rule seems to be 3 for 1 in length, so a buoy on top of a 20 meter wreck, requires at least 60 meters. Also, since boats can easily cut rope, ideally a buoy should have a length of chain at the surface to keep the buoy line from being cut, either accidentally or on purpose (and also at the bottom, as I have been told by "buoy experts").

How is this managed in other regions in Thailand? How do dive centers share the costs of (expensive) buoys? How do dive centers work together to insure that one dive center is not paying the lion's share of expenses to place and maintain buoys that are used by all other dive centers?

Last edited:
Having had a few discussions on this topic in the Pattaya area, most agree we need more buoys here, especially on the wrecks (lines on both ends).

The current ad hoc plan is to get estimates for chain and line and the get other dive centers (and individuals if they want to help) to contribute to the material. Then, we will install the line (without cost) on the wreck(s).

If all this scheming actually worked, we would keep the entire process fully transparent so 100% of contributions would go toward line materials, nothing to the boat, dive center, petrol, etc (we are willing to do all that for free since we are already at the wrecks).

So far, the estimated costs are (still working):

• Large jugs (plastic bottles) for flotation: Free
  • 60m of high quality line: 100 - 130 baht per meter
  • 15m of chain: TBD
  • Total: TBD

Will get the cost of good quality chain and post back estimates and suggested contributions from Pattaya dive centers.

Of course, contributing good quality rope and chain is also an option :D

I think the biggest problem is stopping the fishermen stealing the buoys when they are in place.
Maybe something more substantial such as was in place at the Hard deep last time I dived there would prove to be a better long term solution, and not so easy to steal, and being anchored to the seabed ultimately better for the long term preservation of the wreck.

It is not clear that greatly increasing the expense and complexity of concrete anchors on two relatively recent solid metal shipwrecks is required vis-a-vis the decades old Hardeep wreck,

Mostly, the greatest enemy of "good" is "better" or "perfect" ......

It is not clear that greatly increasing the expense and complexity of concrete anchors on two relatively recent solid metal shipwrecks is required vis-a-vis the decades old Hardeep wreck,

Mostly, the greatest enemy of "good" is "better" or "perfect" ......

I was simply thinking that maybe it would provide a more permanent solution rather than to continue with a system that has been problematic at times over the years it has been used, with the buoys constantly going missing.
There are always lots of buildings being demolished / re built in the area, I dont think it would be too expensive to obtain some blocks of concrete.

Yes, I agree.

However, from talking to the guys who have been putting the mooring lines on the wrecks, they say the biggest problem is theft of the line and sometimes cutting the line by boat propellers, like long tail boats.

The same folks tell me that the best way to mitigate this is to put steel chain on the surface part of mooring line that is resistant to propeller cuts and knife cuts by thieves. No one I've talked to think the local authorities can solve the theft problem by monitoring the area, since it would take 24 hour a day monitoring.

So, the solution seems to be to use strong steel chain from the surface buoy to some depth, say to the safety stop area at 5 meters or deeper, then rope to the wreck. Chain at where the rope meets the wreck is optional.

Unfortunately, this approach does not stop the determined person who is willing to free dive or scuba dive deep to cut the rope, hence most people are unwilling to invest a lot of money in a solution easily stolen.

A concrete anchor at the bottom is a nice idea, but it does not really solve the problem of rope cuts by both thieves and boat props.

In fact, since the odds are so high of theft, it is unlikely chain will last very long, so it would not be wise to invest in stainless chain, as a regular less expensive steel chain will be "long gone" before it rusts, and if the area is lucky and it lasts a long time, it is easy enough to replace.

A concrete anchor at the bottom is a nice idea, but it does not really solve the problem of rope cuts by both thieves and boat props.

It does if it is made with a steel cable such as the hard deep.

Also I favour this approach as I said before to protect the wrecks, even the newer ones are not excluded from damage due to idiots.
A couple of years ago I actually witnessed a boat that shall remain nameless, tie to one of the buoys whilst it was wrapped around the mast / tower, hence the said mast is no longer attatched to the boat, and to make things even worse they actually caused the mast to fall onto the main part of the wreck whilst other divers were down there.

Incidents such as this would not happen if there was a solid shot attatched to the seabed a couple of metres away from the wreck its self. Yes initially it may involve a little investment in time and or money but it would provide a more 'permanent' solution. Why do we have to wait untill the wrecks are 60 or so years old and falling apart through age before we decide to protect them from damage?

Point well made.

So, you are proposing a steel cable instead of chain and rope - plus a large concrete block at the bottom for the mooring line.

Guess the next step would be to see if this solution is both economically and logistically feasible.

I can't remember the exact details of how the shot on the Hard deep was constructed, its some time since I dived there, but can remember a large oil drum at the surface and can remember even in a strong current the line remained almost vertical making the descent to the wreck much easier than having to pull yourself down a loose rope as was the case there in the past. Again no idea who designed / installed the shot but must say who ever did it they made an excellent job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom