Bungee mount for SeaBear H3 (w/pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't like regular watch straps. One pin breaks, including the buckle pin, and you lose your computer. But I do like stretchy, so it compensates for wetsuit crush at depth.

So, I decided to make a bungee mount for my new H3. I splurged and spent $5 on a pack of eyelets and a tool to peen them from Michael's craft store. Otherwise, I just used some 1" webbing I had laying around and some surgical tubing and some bungee I already had.

I made 2 mounts and I couldn't decide whether surgical tubing or bungee would be better.

Please give me some input on which one you think is better and why.

I think the surgical tubing will work with a length short enough to be snug on my bare arm, but still not too tight if worn over a drysuit. I know the surgical tubing will degrade over time, dry rot, and I will have to replace it periodically. But, it should be reliable as long I do periodic inspection and replacement, right?

On the other hand, I did the bungee with Fisherman's knots so the knot slides over the bungee it's tied around and I can loosen or lengthen them to make it tighter or looser.

For posterity, I will add that the strap pins on the H3 give you enough room for a very thick strap - or, in this case, to slide the webbing through with the eyelets already installed. So, I can remove either bungee mount without removing either of the pins.

2016-01-18%2021.45.55.jpg

2016-01-18%2021.43.00.jpg

2016-01-18%2021.42.48.jpg

Annnnddd... I just realized why both mounts are not so good. The webbing is covering the USB/charging port! I'm a dumba$$.

But, I have determined that if I just make the webbing a little bit longer, I can pull it back and to the side enough to give good access to the charging port. Back to the workbench....

I actually have it working as-is with the bungee version. It's just a bit tighter fit than I would like.

deleted duplicate

Great post. I'm planning to put bungees on my H3 at some point to. Was it hard to get the strap pins ('springbars' in proper watch talk!) out?
I'm probably just going to loop the bungees around the spring bars in some way.

Hey stuartv. Very nice. The surgical tubing is most esthetically pleasing :) but I think you will find the bungee more durable.

Thanks, @Bolle and @uncfnp.

Bolle, I have a set of dental picks (cheap, from Harbor Freight). I used one of those to get the spring bars out. It wasn't hard at all. But, I suppose it could be a real PITA if you don't have a suitable tool like that.

I have put this little project on hold for the moment. I really don't like the eyelets I used as they are a 1-piece type with no backing plate. And the peening tool I used was also a POS. So, I ordered the grommets of the same size - i.e. eyelets with a backing plate - and the right tool for assembling them. $5 for the tool, on Amazon, but it's still on a slow boat from China.

Once I have the new bits, I want to experiment with finding a way to rig things so I can slip it over my arm easily and then cinch it down tight more easily. The way I did it with bungee works okay, but if you put it on and it's not tight enough, it is a pain to make it tighter without taking it off.

I have also been looking at getting Buna N or Neoprene cord and a little jig and glue to make custom-sized O-rings and using 2 of those, run through the eyelets in the nylon webbing, That option is also pretty cheap. But, it goes against my goal of being simple and easy to repair/replace in the field.

In the end, I feel like there's a pretty good chance that I will end up with one of the designs I posted above, just with the better eyelets, OR, end up with a 5-ring NATO G10 watch strap, like I already use on my Atom. The only negative thing I can say about that kind of band is that it has no stretch at all, to compensate for wetsuit crush at depth. But, so far, I really haven't had any trouble putting it on and cinching it tight enough to stay put - with the depths/wetsuit combos that I've tried so far, anyway.

But, I have determined that if I just make the webbing a little bit longer, I can pull it back and to the side enough to give good access to the charging port.

If you're worried about pin failure: every time you do that you'll be putting extra stress on the pins. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom