Bungee Mount for Oceanic Atom 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thenewN2O

Registered
Reaction score
Does there exist a bungee mount for an Atom 3? I see the one for the VT3 but I have no way of knowing how the sizes compare.

Does there exist a bungee mount for an Atom 3? I see the one for the VT3 but I have no way of knowing how the sizes compare.

Sadly neither do we. We simply do not have an example of every possible instrument every made. Those that appear on our website list are limited to those we *know* fit. Look here. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=imcrbm

If you have an instrument that is not on the list I'd suggest you try to compare it to the instruments we do list either by comparing your instrument out of its mount to actual examples on our list or by comparing your instrument to pics of instruments on our list. I start with those in the same family or maker.

I'd love to have one of everything ever made, but it's just not possible.30, 40, 50 $500-1000 instruments would be quite a collection.

I'll add that the "Wrist watch style" instruments, Like the Atom, with lots of buttons on the side don't typically lend them selves to our style mounts, sorry.

Tobin

I know this is in the mfg's forum, but the reason you buy a computer like the Atom is because it is a wrist watch and goes on your wrist. You wear it as normal with a wetsuit and roll the end of the sleeve back to look at it, or put it over the latex seal on a drysuit. These are not for forearm mounting which is where you get a real benefit from the bungee mounts as they are less prone to moving around. You might be able to fashion a bungee mount yourself, but the click in style mounts like those used on "puck" style computers won't work because there isn't enough real estate to grab onto the computer.

attachment.php

This is how the petrel works and you might be able to take that strap and loop it through the pins holding the watch straps onto the computer but you'd only get one bungee in there, it just isn't big enough to support a full fledged bungee mount.

The VT3 and VT4 are much bigger than the Atom. I choose the photos below so you can see the size difference using the person's thumb as a scale. The Atom is the size of a watch and the VT series are almost the size of a hockey puck.

But this would be a perfect excuse to visit your LDS to see it first hand and maybe leave with a SS double ended or two. :D
image.jpgimage.jpg

This is how the petrel works and you might be able to take that strap and loop it through the pins holding the watch straps onto the computer but you'd only get one bungee in there, it just isn't big enough to support a full fledged bungee mount.

Got it. This is very helpful. I have access to a commercial 3D printer, so what I now have in mind is that the mount will secure the watch with pins through the mount and otherwise it will then resemble the Petrel. If I end up actually doing this, I'll send one DSS's way if there's any interest.

I like this computer and I want to use bungees for the reasons you said: forearm mounting. I also have a fear that if the pin comes loose it's bye-bye watch, so the two bungee loops will mitigate that.

Got it. This is very helpful. I have access to a commercial 3D printer, so what I now have in mind is that the mount will secure the watch with pins through the mount and otherwise it will then resemble the Petrel. If I end up actually doing this, I'll send one DSS's way if there's any interest.

I like this computer and I want to use bungees for the reasons you said: forearm mounting. I also have a fear that if the pin comes loose it's bye-bye watch, so the two bungee loops will mitigate that.

Be careful of using too little bungee, i.e. too short and or too stiff to allow donning and maintaining depth compensation. When you combine parts of a watch band etc and sections of bungee you may end up with so little bungee that it effectively gets to stiff.

Tobin

Be careful of using too little bungee, i.e. too short and or too stiff to allow donning and maintaining depth compensation. When you combine parts of a watch band etc and sections of bungee you may end up with so little bungee that it effectively gets to stiff.

Tobin

Short bungee also tends to pull/torque at whatever it's mounted to. I tried to go "too short" on the bungee on a DSS mount for a Vytec DS (to accommodate very thin wrists) and after a fairly short life of putting it on and taking it off the bungee had nowhere to go... other than cutting through the outside wall of the mount. (Not a knock on the product... this was definitely a "user error" problem.)

Back
Top Bottom