Bunaken Island, Manado, North Sulawesi Part Three of three

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlanWald

Contributor
Reaction score
Begin Part Three of three
Bunaken Island, Manado, North Sulawesi September 14, 2004- October 11, 2004

I paid about $1,000 for transportation door to door from Los Angeles (airport transportation and air ticket and free transit hotel). I did the LAX-TPE-KUL, overnight near the airport and KUL-MDC via Kota Kinabalu on MH the next day. Malaysia Airlines was excellent, the planes new (Boeing 747-400 and 737-400) and the flight staff attentive and food was good. If you order a special meal (Asian Vegetarian or whatever) you will be served first on a large plane like a 747.

But like anywhere, all that matters is your guide, your skills and knowledge and the luck of the draw as to what you see. But Bunaken is so rich in sea life you can't go wrong. The only negative about diving Bunaken is the travel time. Because the travel time door to dive is as much as 60 hours from California (less from the East of the US and from Europe) and door to door return (with the jet stream pushing the plane from the Asia to California) as much as 48 hours (I had an overnight in Kuala Lumpur) a two week total trip would be the minimum trip length with 9 or ten days diving and the rest in transit.

Flight from Manado back to Singapore on Silkair leaves at about 2:15 PM, so the day before you can ask to do your dives extra early, so you still get a full 24 hours. The flight on MH to KK and on to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) leaves about 3 PM.

Most dive operations will take credit cards but may have a surcharge of about 3 and half percent as the prices they quote are "cash" prices. They may also accept US Dollar or Euro Travelers checks or Euro cash, US Dollars cash and local currency, the rupiah. Consult with the dive operator about the best way to pay.

Important warning about US Dollars cash. The bigger the note the better the rate. US Dollar bank notes must be as clean as possible. The cleaner and crisper, the better the rate at the money changers. US$100 bank notes must be the new series (started in 1996) with the larger portrait of Benjamin Franklin or the brand new color series that should be out soon. Newer is better (2003 or 2004). Certain serial numbers such as those starting with CB will not be accepted because there was some counterfeiting of those bills.

You can get Indonesia rupiah bank notes from ATMs at the airport and in Manado City. Often there are two types of ATMs. One type dispenses small bank notes and the other type dispenses only 100,000 rupiah notes (about US$11) It may have 100,000 written on the machine or one the glass window of the booth. The maximum per day is generally 2.5 to 3 million rupiah (US$270 to US$325) depending on the ATM.

Manado City is very modern and the supermarket in the brand new air conditioned Mega Mall has lots of food from around the world if you want to stock up on snacks.

Regarding Luggage. Those flying to/from North America (with no break of journey, overnight in a transit hotel or changing planes is not considered a break of journey) are subject to the more liberal piece (abbreviated PC) system which is two pieces of luggage of a certain size maximum weighing no more than 50 to 70 pounds each (23 kg to 32 kg) (check with the airlines). When I checked in at LAX with MH my checked luggage was checked directly through to Manado. So be sure keep in your carry on anything you need for your flight and transit. For the first time ever, they weighed my carry on and said there was a limit of ten kilos (22 pounds). I had to put some things in my checked luggage. They gave me a sticker to put on the carry on, but no one ever weighed it again. For my return trip, the agent at Manado airport understood that the piece system applied as I was returning straight to the US. Had I been breaking my journey by staying several days in Malaysia I would have been subject to the standard international weight limit of 20 kilograms (about 44 pounds) total.

In 2002 Singapore Airlines allowed 10 kg excess baggage at no extra charge for dive equipment as long as it is in a separate bag. Check to see if this is still true.

If you are in a group, you can ask if your luggage allowance can be shared with all members of the group. You will still get your own claim ticket for each bag. This is up the airlines. Best to ask in advance.

For those not flying to/or from North America, you get the standard 20 kg. However, I have heard that some small discount airlines in Europe have a limit of 15 kg. So beware if you have a connecting flight, check on the baggage limits. Sometimes negotiating will help if you are ever stuck with excess luggage charges.

Allow plenty of time if flying out of the Bradley International Terminal for security screening of luggage at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). It took me an hour. That could have been because I flew out on the evening of September 11th.

Ask your dive operator if they need any specialized batteries for dive computers or other items that you can bring from home. If you use disposable batteries in you dive light (torch) when you done with them give them to the dive staff as there will be a enough power in them to run radios etc.

Now stop reading and start planning your trip.

Alan Wald
California

End of Part Three of three

Holy kaka. That's a big trip report!! :eek_2:

I love your report. we are vegetarian looking for exciting but relaxing scuba honeymoon. do you think this is the spot?? :)

AlanWald:
Begin Part Three of three
Bunaken Island, Manado, North Sulawesi September 14, 2004- October 11, 2004

I paid about $1,000 for transportation door to door from Los Angeles (airport transportation and air ticket and free transit hotel). I did the LAX-TPE-KUL, overnight near the airport and KUL-MDC via Kota Kinabalu on MH the next day. Malaysia Airlines was excellent, the planes new (Boeing 747-400 and 737-400) and the flight staff attentive and food was good. If you order a special meal (Asian Vegetarian or whatever) you will be served first on a large plane like a 747.

But like anywhere, all that matters is your guide, your skills and knowledge and the luck of the draw as to what you see. But Bunaken is so rich in sea life you can't go wrong. The only negative about diving Bunaken is the travel time. Because the travel time door to dive is as much as 60 hours from California (less from the East of the US and from Europe) and door to door return (with the jet stream pushing the plane from the Asia to California) as much as 48 hours (I had an overnight in Kuala Lumpur) a two week total trip would be the minimum trip length with 9 or ten days diving and the rest in transit.

Flight from Manado back to Singapore on Silkair leaves at about 2:15 PM, so the day before you can ask to do your dives extra early, so you still get a full 24 hours. The flight on MH to KK and on to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) leaves about 3 PM.

Most dive operations will take credit cards but may have a surcharge of about 3 and half percent as the prices they quote are "cash" prices. They may also accept US Dollar or Euro Travelers checks or Euro cash, US Dollars cash and local currency, the rupiah. Consult with the dive operator about the best way to pay.

Important warning about US Dollars cash. The bigger the note the better the rate. US Dollar bank notes must be as clean as possible. The cleaner and crisper, the better the rate at the money changers. US$100 bank notes must be the new series (started in 1996) with the larger portrait of Benjamin Franklin or the brand new color series that should be out soon. Newer is better (2003 or 2004). Certain serial numbers such as those starting with CB will not be accepted because there was some counterfeiting of those bills.

You can get Indonesia rupiah bank notes from ATMs at the airport and in Manado City. Often there are two types of ATMs. One type dispenses small bank notes and the other type dispenses only 100,000 rupiah notes (about US$11) It may have 100,000 written on the machine or one the glass window of the booth. The maximum per day is generally 2.5 to 3 million rupiah (US$270 to US$325) depending on the ATM.

Manado City is very modern and the supermarket in the brand new air conditioned Mega Mall has lots of food from around the world if you want to stock up on snacks.

Regarding Luggage. Those flying to/from North America (with no break of journey, overnight in a transit hotel or changing planes is not considered a break of journey) are subject to the more liberal piece (abbreviated PC) system which is two pieces of luggage of a certain size maximum weighing no more than 50 to 70 pounds each (23 kg to 32 kg) (check with the airlines). When I checked in at LAX with MH my checked luggage was checked directly through to Manado. So be sure keep in your carry on anything you need for your flight and transit. For the first time ever, they weighed my carry on and said there was a limit of ten kilos (22 pounds). I had to put some things in my checked luggage. They gave me a sticker to put on the carry on, but no one ever weighed it again. For my return trip, the agent at Manado airport understood that the piece system applied as I was returning straight to the US. Had I been breaking my journey by staying several days in Malaysia I would have been subject to the standard international weight limit of 20 kilograms (about 44 pounds) total.

In 2002 Singapore Airlines allowed 10 kg excess baggage at no extra charge for dive equipment as long as it is in a separate bag. Check to see if this is still true.

If you are in a group, you can ask if your luggage allowance can be shared with all members of the group. You will still get your own claim ticket for each bag. This is up the airlines. Best to ask in advance.

For those not flying to/or from North America, you get the standard 20 kg. However, I have heard that some small discount airlines in Europe have a limit of 15 kg. So beware if you have a connecting flight, check on the baggage limits. Sometimes negotiating will help if you are ever stuck with excess luggage charges.

Allow plenty of time if flying out of the Bradley International Terminal for security screening of luggage at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). It took me an hour. That could have been because I flew out on the evening of September 11th.

Ask your dive operator if they need any specialized batteries for dive computers or other items that you can bring from home. If you use disposable batteries in you dive light (torch) when you done with them give them to the dive staff as there will be a enough power in them to run radios etc.

Now stop reading and start planning your trip.

Alan Wald
California

End of Part Three of three

Great report. I"m going to Manado, Bangka and Bali in September, 2005. It's only April, and the trip can't come soon enough!!!!!!

Dear all,
I will dive North Molucca next May and plan to stay for 2-3 days in Manado since my flight will transit there. Do you have any recommendation for good & safe diving trip organizer with 'backpackers' accomodation? What do you say about staying in Manado or Bunaken island? Thanks in advance

Hello Eriwn,

I have been living and diving on Halamhera. Where are you going? And how. Please contact me info@diving-on-sulawesi.com
Rob

Back
Top Bottom