Bum Poseidon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a Poseidon Cyklon 300 that was supposed to be freshly serviced.. but when I turn on the gas it does a sputtering freeflow until it stops and settles down to a slow leak from the second stage.

Is this common? Any Advice? I wanted to dive tomorrow, I'm bummed out...

Yep, dive with it and it'll go away*. It happens to mine if I don't get them wet every couple of months. You can also stick your finger in there and push the metal bit outwards, and that'll stop the leak.

They are fantastic regs, so nice purchase.

*problems never get better at 60', so be ready to thumb the dive if it's not working out.

Yep, dive with it and it'll go away*. It happens to mine if I don't get them wet every couple of months. You can also stick your finger in there and push the metal bit outwards, and that'll stop the leak.

They are fantastic regs, so nice purchase.

*problems never get better at 60', so be ready to thumb the dive if it's not working out.

Thanks!!! Hopefully it works out. I have a pony just in case. I have had my eye on the poseidon for a while, I am excited to try it out!

I have a Poseiden Odin set up (matching octopus) I'm thinking of selling if you don't like the Cyklon.. (shameless plug) I just used them about 2 weeks ago in FL.

It's most certainly a direct hazard to your life. I'll do you a favor and give you five bucks for the Cyklon - for your own good.

But seriously, look inside the second stage mouthpiece. See that white plastic sleeve with an oblong opening? Poseidon calls it the 'Ejector Sleeve'. It does about the same thing as the venturi adjustment you'll find on some other regs. Thing is, though, the Cyklon moves air like a Godzilla fart. Once it cracks, it delivers lots of air very easily. The way this reg breathes is very unique, and probably a big part of the love them or hate them following the Cyklons have. Personally, I love them.

But anyways, back to my point (sorry, ADD moment there) - close that ejector sleeve down so it's just barely open - a millimeter or so. You can use a pen or paper clip or something. If you have small fingers you can do it with a fingertip. Now open the tank valve up nice and slow. If you get a small leak, try GENTLY hitting the purge. My dog is still traumatized from me playing with the purge on a Poseidon 'showerhead'. Or even better, try breathing it. See how she goes. If good, then roll the ejector sleeve until you get it how you like it (it'll breathe much different in the water anyways), but not more than half open. If it still seeps just a little, like someone said before, dive it. See what she does. These are bombproof regs, but are very finicky out of the water. Mine sometimes seep, just a little hiss, when they haven't been used for a while, but it goes away as soon as they're in the water.

Another thought - the older diaphragms on these, before they went to silicone, rot out and still work MUCH better than you'd imagine they would with gaping holes in them. When I thought mine was bad and we opened it up, I was stunned the reg had been working at all.

man, i'm really not sure about the advice you have been given here. I don't wanna be one of those obnoxious writers slagging off other peoples posts. I have a set of cyclones, love them apart from the difficulty in getting parts for them as i'm now based in central america. I guess this is an old post so hopefully the adjustment tip you were given worked if not i would try to get them sorted out as the freeflow thing you have described should not really be happening

My wife and I have Xstream setups, if I open up the valve slowly they tend to "leak" for a few seconds, if I open the valve quickly they quit leaking much faster.

man, i'm really not sure about the advice you have been given here. I don't wanna be one of those obnoxious writers slagging off other peoples posts. I have a set of cyclones, love them apart from the difficulty in getting parts for them as i'm now based in central america. I guess this is an old post so hopefully the adjustment tip you were given worked if not i would try to get them sorted out as the freeflow thing you have described should not really be happening

I agree scoobydrew, I used a Cyclon for years. In 1980, it gave me all the air I required on the Andria Doria and since then I've logged several thousand hours with it. It's serviced regularly and kept as a back-up to my Apeks. I would have no hesitation in diving it today. Congratulations on your purchase speedmeister don't bother with the negative comments, their ignorance is showing.

Back
Top Bottom