Bula Commodore Bainimarama!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdenny

Reaction score
Bula! So what's up with this military coup? I am planning a first time trip to Fiji in June of 07. I haven't booked just yet. I guess the prudent thing to do is take a wait and see attitude. Are there any locals on the board? Is this something that should blow over within a few months? Of course my travel agent is telling me not to worry but I'd be interested to hear from locals about the situation or anyone who had experience with the previous coup in 2000. Did anyone travle to Fiji while it was under military rule? Is that out of the question?

gdenny:
Bula! So what's up with this military coup? I am planning a first time trip to Fiji in June of 07. I haven't booked just yet. I guess the prudent thing to do is take a wait and see attitude. Are there any locals on the board? Is this something that should blow over within a few months? Of course my travel agent is telling me not to worry but I'd be interested to hear from locals about the situation or anyone who had experience with the previous coup in 2000. Did anyone travle to Fiji while it was under military rule? Is that out of the question?
Go for it mate. If anything it will be cheaper. I wouldnt worry about the military at all. They are not interested in harming their tourist industry any more than they already have.

I would go anyway.

My wife and I went to Fiji last year and I spoke to some of the locals (on Taveuni) and some divers who were there during the last coup they had in 2000 and it was political and people outside of the Government didn't seem to have much emotion about it. In all likelihood, you will see no signs of the coup beyond Suva. Some of the divers I spoke to were in Fiji at the time of the last coup and didn't even know it happened until they returned to the US and saw it on the news.

Thanks for the replies. So far, so good. But now I'm thinking perhaps I should wait a month or so to see if I can get a better price if bookings start to drop. My plan so far is to head to Wananavu and Bligh Waters. Did anybody out there find exceptionally good deals after 2000's coup?

Aside from a few check points here and there life goes on in Fiji. I guess the feeling is that it was the wrong thing done for the right reasons (if you don't know what I mean by this then do a little research). However this does not stop potential visitors' understandable hesitance and something like 40% of onward bookings for 2007 have already been cancelled. Which is ****. For everyone here.

It's a little crass to be thinking about cheap deals friends. Tourism is going to get hit hard by this and if anything you should be supporting the dive industry and contributing a little extra in an effort to help operators stay afloat (pun intended) over the coming months rather than paying them less than they deserve just because they are desparate for anything that will help cash flow.

Good to hear that it's a life goes on situation. It's a shame that so much business will be lost. It looks like we're making the trip.

Regarding the good deals, I'm not trying to pay anyone less than they deserve. Please understand it will cost my wife and I $6,000US for 8 days of diving at Wananavu from San Francisco. If I can get a free room upgrade, night dive, or save a few bucks on airfare it helps. Believe me, I will keep in mind that it's gonna be a tough year when taking care of the DM, Capt, and staff at Wananavu.

Paying extra? This I just disagree with. This is all part of the business cycle. Those who have built strong operations will survive. Those who don't deserve to be in business will fail. In the end, the industry in Fiji will be healthier. Tipping extra to locals is a different issue IMHO.

rickydazla:
....It's a little crass to be thinking about cheap deals friends. ......
no - its human nature... i think the tsunami was about 4hrs old when i started hearing people asking how cheap a trip will cost, same with the Bali bombings

i wish the good operators the best of luck but i wont pay usual tourist full fare just because i 'should'

GDenny - go, dont let this or the next coup (there will be another one down the track/years) affect you too much!

rickydazla:
Tourism is going to get hit hard by this and if anything you should be supporting the dive industry and contributing a little extra in an effort to help operators stay afloat ...quote]

It may be crass to seek gain from unfortunate social events but when you ask people to contribute extra to the dive industry to offset the effects of a military coup in the very next sentence, doesn't your scolding lose a little of the moral impact you were aiming for?

almitywife:
no - its human nature... i think the tsunami was about 4hrs old when i started hearing people asking how cheap a trip will cost, same with the Bali bombings

Jeez. 4 hours after the Tsunami... that is a bit harsh.

pupdiver:
It may be crass to seek gain from unfortunate social events but when you ask people to contribute extra to the dive industry to offset the effects of a military coup in the very next sentence, doesn't your scolding lose a little of the moral impact you were aiming for?

I really don't feel like I was looking to gain anything at someone else's expense. We just want to go to Fiji. It's not like there will be fighting in the streets of Suva with death and destruction and I'll be enjoying my holiday on the next island. As he said, outside of a few checkpoints it's life goes on.

I merely suggested holding off booking the trip to get a good deal. A deal that will be offered by the resort/dive-op/airline to anyone who wishes to come to Fiji. I'm not twisting anyone's arm. If I happen to be in a fortunate position being part of the 60% that is still willing to bring my business to Fiji, so be it.

gdenny:
Jeez. 4 hours after the Tsunami... that is a bit harsh.
aussies are known for their sarcastic sense of humor (as ive done on SB and gotten into trouble many times)..... so if your down here dont take what we say too seriously :D

gdenny:
I...... It's not like there will be fighting in the streets of Suva with death and destruction and I'll be enjoying my holiday on the next island.....
this happens in PNG, the solomons and east timor.. and still we go to these places (July for Timor) so if you can get a deal or a upgrade enjoy... becasue you coming home and telling people how great it was is what increases tourism for the country and they do need it

cheers

Back
Top Bottom