Building on OW cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I am an OW diver that recently went on a trip to Thailand and did a 7 day Liveaboard. I did get Nitrox certified before going and glad I did. I felt less fatigue with nitrox doing 4 dives per day. Once there they told me that most morning dives would be greater that 60 feet for the first part of the dive and that in order for them to feel comfortable and not take a chance with me they suggested I take my Deep Dive certification while on my trip and did. I also got Night Certified while I was there. I had about 45 dives before going on this trip and now I want to get AOW next but I definitely want to take Peak Performances Bouyancy also too. I love diving.

Hi, I am an OW diver that recently went on a trip to Thailand and did a 7 day Liveaboard. I did get Nitrox certified before going and glad I did. I felt less fatigue with nitrox doing 4 dives per day. Once there they told me that most morning dives would be greater that 60 feet for the first part of the dive and that in order for them to feel comfortable and not take a chance with me they suggested I take my Deep Dive certification while on my trip and did. I also got Night Certified while I was there. I had about 45 dives before going on this trip and now I want to get AOW next but I definitely want to take Peak Performances Bouyancy also too. I love diving.
Do I understand you correctly that your certifications were open water and nitrox and then you took deep?

Yes! Why?
The prerequisite for the deep diver course is advanced open water or adventure diver. Adventure diver is defined as 3 adventure dives. It doesn't sound like this requirement was met before you took your deep course. I'm surprised PADI didn't catch this.

Once there they told me that most morning dives would be greater that 60 feet for the first part of the dive and that in order for them to feel comfortable and not take a chance with me they suggested I take my Deep Dive certification while on my trip and did. I also got Night Certified while I was there. I had about 45 dives before going on this trip and now I want to get AOW next but I definitely want to take Peak Performances Bouyancy also too. I love diving.

The prerequisite for the deep diver course is advanced open water or adventure diver.

I think it’s great that you are taking the courses and enjoy the diving, but if I’m not mistaken (and to satisfy my curiosity) had you done the one deep dive in the AOW course before your trip and been able to show them the certification card, they probably would never have made the suggestion about the deep diver course, or for that matter the night dive course either. Sound right?

Don’t know about liveaboard diving though.....yet!

Maybe I have it wrong, but I took somekind of andventure course that will count towards my AOW. And since I was doing night dives I decided to get that one done too.

Maybe I have it wrong, but I took somekind of andventure course that will count towards my AOW. And since I was doing night dives I decided to get that one done too.
It should be clear to you what adventure dives you took. Adventure dives are the first dives for specialties. Honestly, I'm not a fan of adventure dive certifications as the first dive doesn't get in much depth as in the later dives. My recommended way for AOW is to take 5 specialties, including navigation and deep. Add rescue and 50 dives total and you are at MSD.

You have night and deep (not sure if nitrox counts), but with nav and a couple more of your choice and you are there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom