Building Flag Float - What size Inner Tube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chefchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, after reading some posts on here I decided to make my own dive flag bouy float thingy. I have the flag, the pole, the basket, and the line. I was going to get a tire inner tube to fit around the basket. The basket is 15.25 x 13.75". I just need to know what size tube I'm going to need. The tire companies around here aren't be much help. :iconeutra

Go to a trailer shop, RV supply or Hitch installer. Get a tube for a 5"x12" tire. It will blow up fine.

Dave

Hello ChefChris,

If you are diving in any current, you may want to reconsider using an inner tube. I used to use an inner tube, but it becomes quite a pita when you want to stop and take a picture or grab that lobster in current.

Surge also prove to be a bit problematic tending to pick you up with each wave.

I am now using a store bought float, but I saw a diver with a home built that used foam pool noodles cut into about 1 foot pieces and bungee cord to hold them together....looked easy to travel with as you can always leave the noodles behind and pick up new ones just about anywhere.

couv

Good one Bryan,

Interesting web page too.

couv

I concur. Unless you are looking for lots of excercise I would not use a tube. I also constructed my own flag that uses a foam float. Mine is extra large because I dive in a high traffic area. You can purchase a float at a local marine store. If you wanted the tube so that you can carry stuff along with you.... believe it or not you can tow a sea kayak with you easier than a flag with a float. The kayak just skims right over the water and has very little drag.
Here is the flag that I made. Out of water it stands over 7 feet tall
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/chrisandchristine/Shared/DSC_3553Small.jpg

If diving in current, I use a store bought float. Most of my inland lake dives are done with a milk crate and an inner tube. If you are staying shallow, stick a retractable clothes line reel in the basket. For deeper dives, use one of the retractable water ski reels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom