Building a Loc-Line arm for the Sunpak G-Flash strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Change #2
The focus light was not able to be aimed independently enough from the strobe and it put more weight, and thus more stress, on the loc-line arm. Here is an overall picture of where I relocated the focus light:

That looks similar to what I did. My Sunpak still isn't here, and my Oly Flash mounts more like the S & S, so I just used the washer on my loc-line L-piece to sandwich a piece of 1x1/8 aluminum, drilled a hole in the other end and used a tight fitting plumbing washer on either side of it. When I tighten it up, it stays put just fine. Only problem is it's a pain to take on and off (washers are a tight squeeze) so I leave it together all the time. Photo in my gallery. I've had no flopping around, and it adjusts great topside or under water. I plan to add an identical loc-line on the side of the opposite end of my frame for the Sunpak.

Change #3
The arm was still very floppy on land so I inserted 3/4"OD clear vinyl tubing into the section of the arm that goes to the strobe.

Change #4
There were still some stress points near the handle that would pop off easily even under water. I tried to use PVC "blue" glue and it was not strong enough to lock the joints. I tried drilling holes and inserting screws. The screws still allowed too much movement. I then tried a glue that I've never used before. It is called Gorilla Glue. It starts off as a dark brown liquid and foams up as it dries to a tan, very hard plastic consistency. I was sloppy and got it all over so pardon the mess in the pictures - I'll know how to handle the stuff better next time. The glue has held very well after two dives.

Larry C:
That looks similar to what I did. ...
I saw your setup and it looked great. Hope that Sunpak gets there soon.

Here is a final picture of my rig. This is how the focus light is attached.

I still need to work on how the camera screws to the handle. It twists easily so I will probably make a bracket that has two screws going through the arm and fits around the block that the attachment screw goes in. I'll post pictures when I get it finished and tested.

28.gif

SeaYoda you are now an official member of the "Captain Gadget" club.

Nice work and thanks for taking the time to shoot all the pics and post the process. I'm sure it will be of help to others.

Did you try putting a section of clear plastic flexible tubing inside the loc-line to help strengthen it in the places where you have glue?
Maybe it will work instead of the glue?

Did you notice where that Gorilla Glue was made?
Denmark. Who would think? China must not have enough gorillas!

It's an honor to be inducted :D.

I tried the tubing inside the stress points first but it just limits movement and does not relieve enough of the stress to keep the segments from popping. The glued segments also help isolate the focus light from the strobe movement. This allows the light to remain stable while the strobe is being positioned. The stress from the weight of the strobe does not go away but moves to a less sensitive segment farther up the arm. I am still able to pop the arm off under water if I want unusual lighting effects.

I didn't know they had to glue all those gorillas down in Denmark either :D.

Thanks for the photos of the process. I tried using that Y segment to attach my focus light and never could get it secure yet moveable. Finally just gave up and added a second handle for it. Works like a dream now. 'Course mine is quite a bit larger than yours.

Good Job!

I'm just putting the Q-40 mask strap around the frame and rolling it a bit with my finger. The material the segments is made of looks to me like ABS. Might try some ABS cement which will actually weld the two pieces together if that's what they're made of. Won't work on anything else. How do you guys pack these things? Do you pop the arm off? Mine's so long I would need a Pelican 1600 to pack it, then it would be about double carry-on size, plus a pain to fit in my boat or Expedition, what with all the other dive gear for 2-3 people.

Larry C:
... How do you guys pack these things? Do you pop the arm off? ...
I keep mine all together and coil the strobe as close to the camera as possible. I find a safe place away from or on top of heavy gear. I keep it away from other people as much as possible too. I would take it apart if I had to pack it to go somewhere.

I've been doing the same thing, but my wife keeps throwing stuff on it in the back of the car and I almost stepped on it when I slipped while pulling up anchor, so I'm thinking of a more secure solution. I'm thinking maybe I'll wing nut the base of the loc-line so I can pull it off for storage, then I can get a smaller case. I'd have to epoxy the bolt inside to keep it from turning though. I used one of those huge plastic 1/4-20knobs from the hardware store to hold the camera on. Maybe it'll do for the loc-line as well.

Back
Top Bottom