Buggered ear in middle of AOW emergency advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darkprincze

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey folks,

im 3 dives into my AOW in malta. I screwed my ear on the last dive. Done deep in the morning to 31.3m. Done second dive (wreck) to around 15m and during the dive realised I was having trouble with my right ear. Thumbed it. Heard all sorts of gurgling on the way up in my right ear. 10 hours later I'm hearing a crackling noise when I blow nose. Felt like water was in it earlier. I have 5 days left here and two dives to complete AOW. Spoke to instructor who was more than helpful. Nav and peak Performance. They don't need to be deep but I can't clear my ear so far. Advice very much appreciated.

thanks Paul.

Dont risk it. You only have 1 set of ears. Go home, see the doc, get a professional diagonsis. Play it safe. You can complete the AOW anytime. AOW will do you no good if for the rest of your life you cant dive below 20 feet because you permanently damagerd your ear.

Well agreed. We are gonna give it a day. I got the wife and kid with me so finding a babe is out of the question. Was hoping I could clear it in the next five days and not blow the course. It has cleared a bit but doesn't feel right.

If you think you might have injured your ear or feel pain don't dive anymore till its checked.

Now if it's just a water clogged ear like what has happened to me in the past I have a solution that I've used.
Buy an Ear Wax removal kit at any local pharmacy and use it per its instructions. I have had instances where one of my ears would clog with water for days and it would drive me nuts. A quick flush with the ear wax remover and it would clear right up and I could hear fine again.

I wouldn't risk it. That snap crackle pop you are hearing is most likely caused by a little barotrauma that will go away on its own if you let your ear rest. Probably everyone on here that dives had it at one point or the other.

Hey dude
thanks. Dive school have me a decongestant but I think your remedy is closer to my symptoms. I'll give it a try.

thanks paul

Well if the wife is with you find a baby sitter and make the wife happier than she's ever been:wink:.

Buy her a diamond.

Those of you with dirty minds should be ashamed.:D

Find a local ENT who knows diving and have the ear checked out, if your insurance covers it or the cost is worth it to you. If the doc says it's okay, no trauma, and no blockage, why not?

After a trip where I get a bunch (more than 2) dives in it usually takes me a couple days before I feel like my ears are "dry".

It could very well resolve before five days are up. Any doctor can take a look and see whether it appears inflamed/injured and if necessary prescribe medication. Unless you've suffered a perforation or have an infection, the best remedy is just to give it time and let it rest so that it can heal up on its own. It might take a couple/few days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom