Budget trp to Similans - help required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dialeemo

Registered
Reaction score
I am a budget traveller and am hoping to go to the similans in about 10 days. Can anyone advise me on the cheapest way to do this. Is going to Khao Lak going to work out cheaper than going to Phuket and also can anyone recommend or not recommend any dive operators. Being the lowest form of tourist, I will be willing to scrape the barrel in terms of accomodation and the rest. Please help.

In about 10 days there should still be places available, so simply show up and try to find something.
Normally you won't find too many last minutes rates, but you may be lucky.

You could either go to Phuket or Khao Lak, maybe in Phuket your chances are a bit bigger, since some of the Diving Centers here can also book you on boats leaving from Khao Lak, and quite some of the boats leaving from Khao Lak don't have a booking office in Khao Lak, only on Phuket. Depending on the boat though, there may be additional transportation costs.

if you are in Phuket try www.phuketdivers.com
there are plenty of dive shops on the main street of Khao Lak so i dont think it would be a problem.
in terms of accomodation, i think both Phuket and khao lak offers same pricing for accomodation. i was rather suprised that accomodation in khao lak is rather pricey....

I am a man who can appreciate the honesty and sincerety of standing up and shouting, "Hey, I'm cheap and I don't care who knows!"

My name is Chris, and I'm also a compulsive cheap traveler.

Here is my best advice. www.westcoastdivers.com . They are located in Phuket (as are about 100 other dive shops) but I went on their liveaboard and had almost the best time. I couldn't stand one of the instructors in the crew. He was a rude, know-it-all who needed to be slapped down. I came this >< close!

Any hoo, the diving was fantastic. Only three whalesharks in four days, and five manta. Tons of other stuff but too much to write about. Check out their website. If I remember correctly, with the exchange rate, I paid roughly $450 US for the four day/four night, 14 dive cruise. Included everything to survive. Bring your own towel and personal items. The food, tanks, etc.

If you want more advice on where to stay, just ask. I usually stay in guest houses for around $10 US. I've actually stayed at less expensive and during the Christmas season!

Now here is a secret, are you a DM or OWSI? If you are, you can go standby on some of these boats and if you can get on, you would pay the bare minimum but you would be asked to help out with some of the divers or on the boat. But, don't worry, everyone helps each other out.

I would like to know how things turn out!

Chris

Unfortunately I am a mere advanced open water diver and even though I have heard many tales of people who have blagged their way onto a top class liveaboard for doing nothing more than being a divemaster and willing to change a couple of tanks, I have to leave that for another trip. I am on a 1 year travelling stint around asia and since doing the open water (in Koh Tao of course) I have racked up about 130 dives and this has left a severe dent in my wallet. I did consider doing the divemaster but funds just wouldn't allow it. Only 3 whale sharks you say? That really is a poor show! If I see 1 I will be over the moon.

Do you know roughly how large my dive group will be and among all the bubbles will I be able to see all the dive boats and other divers and maybe if i'm lucky something more exciting then a damned clownfish. God I hate them!

Thanks

If you want to go really cheap, neither west coast nor phuket divers are a good option. They are both attractibely priced and good, but threre really are cheaper options.
The boat won't be as nice as with the 2 mentioned above, but you have to make choices.

End of October shopuld still be ok, but at the moment there are hardly any places available on November cruises any more.

The groups will depend on the size of the boat, in general: the cheaper the boat, the more people, really cheap trips in general 18 persons on the boat, but you'll still be diving in groups of 4 divers per DM.

And going on the boat for (almost) free: hardly possible, just now and then if there are places availble they can sell to nobody else, and the companies that tend to offer these things will first try to sell last minutes, so that is really difficult.

Back
Top Bottom