Budget friendly setup for amateur photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Nikon Cool Pix 300w. It's good to 100' with no housing. Granted, once below about twenty feet you're gonna want some light with anything whether it's internal flash or added strobe or flood or just a good torch. So far, I'm happy with it's performance.
About 18' deep, natural light, post production in Adobe Lightroom.

Re the RX100 MKI, I have that camera with the Ikelite housing, 2x YS-D1 strobes, a couple wet lenses, and a focus light. It's been a great camera as it shoots in manual, but it's extensible with strobes and additional wet lenses. I've had that camera since it came out and have noted that spares might be coming hard to find, so if you can go really cheap, you're not out too much if the camera takes a dump, or it flooded. If you bump up to the VII or Va models, you'll get much better autofocus and parts are probably easier to come by if you need to replace the camera. Also, most housings are model specific, so if you do go down the road to a better camera, you're not just replacing the camera! Below are just a sampling, with most of my photos in green water.
upload_2021-8-17_14-53-23.png
upload_2021-8-17_14-54-7.png
upload_2021-8-17_14-55-11.png
upload_2021-8-17_14-59-35.png

Hello I have a gopro hero 6 that I use to take photos while diving,but I always have hard time in reproduction of photos regarding red color reduction , close ups (macro),and focus.

I want to purchasing a better setup mainly for stills and casual videos, I found this setup
Camera Sony Rx100 (original one)with Meikon underwater housing, is it any good and any other recommendations.

Regards

The rx100, even the original model, is a good compact for uw photography.

The 2 main advantages it has over the tg series that's been suggested is a 1" sensor that's much more capable than the tiny sensor in the tg series and full manual control.

It of course really depends on how you intend to use the camera and what expansion you anticipate or desire.

If you're confident macro and close up photography is all you're interested in then the tg series might be sufficient. If you think you'll ever do wide angle than the rx100 will be better.

While you could use a TG unhoused that could feel limiting quickly; depths beyond 20-25' without a light source is going to limit photo quality pretty significantly. So if you're looking at housing a TG the cost might actually be more for the TG6 and housing then an rx100i or ii with housing (depending on the housing).

IMO the most important pieces of an UW camera rig is the lighting and lenses, so if expansion is in your future keep that in mind when buying those items.

Hi there

If you still looking for a budget friendly camera for underwater photography I could recommend Fuji FinePix XP 140
Here's my review of this cam:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom