Budget for Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malene, its now 42php to 1usd.
SilverRay have set breakfast of a hundred pesos only that comes w/ ur choice of coffee, choco, or tea.
Curry dishes at 250php. Fried rice at 120php. Mango shake at 65php.
I had grilled squid the firat night w/ rice at 150php.
Very reasonable considering the good service & taste.

The Italian Restaurant is reasonably priced too. Great pizza & pasta! Good coffee & fruit shakes too!

I dove and stayed with Savedra last year and as others have pointed out, you can pay with visa card in the dive shop. Lindy one of the dive guides changes Euros and US dollar to Pesos to a decent rate so just bring some western currency, preferable large notes like 100USD notes. You can ask the driver to find a place to change money on your way to Moalboal instead of the airport; however, there are a couple of exchange shops in the airport so you can check their exchange rate. Be aware if any offers to carry your bag(s) even for a few meters when you exit the airport, then they expect tips around 20PHP per bag.
Pay all services, taxis, meals, shirts etc. in PHP, otherwise it will most likely be pricy.

The Italian Restaurant is reasonably priced too. Great pizza & pasta! Good coffee & fruit shakes too!
My favorite breakfast at the italian restaurant, right after an early morning dive at Savedra : mango Pancake spread with calamansi juice, and a strong expresso on top... mmmmhhhh....

I ordered the Grilled vegetable & added-on cheese Sandwich. Mango shake & strong coffee. =)

Hi,
I am on my way back home after excellent diving holidays in Moalboal.
Thanks to everybody for the tips.
The Sardines Run were awesome, and I loved the other dives as well.
My DM was Jaime, very nice and a talent to find small stuff.
I ate mostly at the nameless place next to Savedra Beach Resort and opposite Savedra dive center.
I will write a small report once I am home. Right now I am transiting in Changi.
See you

I'll be going to Moalboal in mid December, diving at Savedra and staying at Marina Village. I've dove with them many times through the years, and always seem to come back satisfied. Jaime is a good dive master with amazing eyes for finding the little macro stuff, he knows the sites well. Lindy is great too, very friendly woman divemaster who is also very experienced. Heman the manager will make sure the shop is running well and the dives are organized and on time. Last time he handled a couple of minor repairs faultlessly (battery change in dive computer, and hose O-ring replacement). It's good to have competent people for the light repairs you sometimes need, and can't always count on in the more remote dive sites.

I enjoyed the schooling sardines at Pescador Island, a thresher shark in the distance feeding on the sardines, and loads of frogfish, nudibranchs, etc. I think what you see is seasonal, for example the sardines, or ghost pipefish, or seahorses have their seasons. The airplane at the Airport site is interesting. Rumor has it a whale shark was sighted, I never saw him.

The restaurant opposite and left of Savedra is called Sunset View, and the food and especially the view can't be beat, service average. I had fish cooked many ways (especially lapu lapu cooked escabiche sweet/sour!), fresh shrimp with garlic butter, and other seafood that delighted us. For a change, another nice restaurant is Silver Ray, two doors to the right of Savedra -- no view, but great food, more friendly staff and low prices for Italian style food and seafood too. They have a contract to provide the meals for Savedra employees and the employees seemed to like the food, so that's a good recommendation too. Beware, I did have some spoiled chicken at the southernmost seaview restaurant, so stay out of that one.

As for logistics, getting there is easy from Cebu Airport, just take a taxi. I usually bargain them down to P2000, they will ask P3000, but it's soft. The hotel can arrange your return by taxi for P2500. I sometimes take the bus, Ceres is just fine and saves a lot if you don't mind a more complicated trip. You have to take a taxi to the South Terminal (p160), then Ceres liner to Moalboal (P110), then a trike to the beach area of Panagsama Beach (P50-70).

Changing Money is a nuisance in the Philippines. They just don't have much banking infrastructure like ATMs on every corner as here. I bring credit cards and cash in US100 bills in a money belt, and change to pesos in the big cities. I budget about US100 per day for food, lodging, diving and travel while there, and usually find that over what I need. There is no money changer in town, so change your money in Cebu City at the airport (best rate) or in Cebu City at the many money changers. In a pinch you can pay in US$, euros, or charge your dives and room at Savedra to your major credit card (Visa or MC). They do charge a fee for charges, since they have to pay a commission of 6%, not the typical 2% we have in US. I did that last time just to conserve ready cash.

Still all in all a great bargain, dives were US$21 with my own gear and the room was only P1800 including breakfast on the sea. What can I say, I'm going back for more soon....

In the photos below you see the view from my breakfast restaurant, Jaime chillin', the amazing sardine schooling, some of the other favorite fauna, and the airplane. Just a sampler, you never know what you will see....

Attachments

• sea view.jpg
    sea view.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Beakfast by the sea.jpg
    Beakfast by the sea.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Jaime and boatman to Pescador.jpg
    Jaime and boatman to Pescador.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Sardines at Pescador.jpg
    Sardines at Pescador.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Frogfish ala orange.jpg
    Frogfish ala orange.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Clownfish Moalboal 2010.jpg
    Clownfish Moalboal 2010.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Nudibranch Moalboal 2010.jpg
    Nudibranch Moalboal 2010.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Stonefish.jpg
    Stonefish.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Airplane Moalboal 2010.jpg
    Airplane Moalboal 2010.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 39
  • frogfish mouth.jpg
    frogfish mouth.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Question for those familiar with Moalboal - are day trips to Apo Island an option? I am trying to figure out if transfer to Negros/Dauin is required to dive the island. If not, what is the easiest way to get from Moalboal to Dumaguette (do I have to go back to Cebu?) Thanks!

Never heard from Moalboal about trips to Apo, should be too far away. Maybe in a safari but certainly not day trips.

You don't have to go back to Cebu City to get to Negros which is just in front across the straits, there are boats going across the Tanon strait north of Moalboal and also at the southern tip. After that you'll have to take a jeepney or a chartered car to take you to Duma or Dauin, whichever. Arrange with the dive centre in Panagsama.

Question for those familiar with Moalboal - are day trips to Apo Island an option? I am trying to figure out if transfer to Negros/Dauin is required to dive the island. If not, what is the easiest way to get from Moalboal to Dumaguette (do I have to go back to Cebu?) Thanks!

No, they don't have transfers regularly from Moalboal to Dumaguete, much less Apo Island (but -- Sea Explorers sometimes does one to accommodate a guest transfer, ask them, it's random and not often). I had a great trip to Moalboal and Dauin in December 2010 as I posted above. Pics are in other posts too. My icon to the left is the view of Apo Island from our boat, as we left Dauin.

To see Apo, you want to stay at Dauin, and take a 2 or 3 dive day trip to Apo. There are many resorts in Dauin, but I highly recommend Mikes Resort. It's new and outstanding in every way (rate was P2500 double aircon).
Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines

It's easy to get to Dauin from Moalboal. Two ways:

Either go back to Cebu City and take the Ocean Jet Ferry to Dumaguete, then a taxi to your resort. The Ceres bus to Cebu City is about P120, the ferry P500 one way, the taxi about p400.

--or hop the Ceres bus south from Moalboal to Bato terminal, then take another bus to Liloan fast ferry port. The fast ferry leaves every hour on the hour and drops you at Sibulan, where you take a taxi to your resort. Sounds complicated, but it's much faster than going back to Cebu City and waiting for the ferry, and way cheaper. I do this a lot. The bus is about P120, the fast ferry about P100, and the Dauin taxi is about P400 (negotiate, they ask more but this is the going rate).

These are some great dive spots and I hope to go back soon!

Back
Top Bottom