Budget first stage to drive PG & O2 analyzer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fubari

Registered
Reaction score
ok... I don't know much about regulators, so is this a good idea? I'd welcome alternatives.

I'm looking for an easier way to o2-analyze tanks. I'm getting tired of dragging out my diving reg & console to O2 check a tank - my analyzer feeds off of a BCD inflator.

I want to find a cheap DIN first stage (300bar, 7thread). I think that means used; I'm looking smth I can that can feed a pressure gauge and an O2 analyzer. I'm just doing basic nitrox (40% or less), but will probably go to advanced some day so I'm thinking O2 cleanable will be a concern. I don't plan on diving this, so I don't think I'll need a 2nd stage.

Am I being penny-wise and pound-foolish considering used gear? Is there a really obvious thing on the market that is already configured like this?

Thanks for your consideration.

Simple - eBay. Most used regs are yoke, but now and again a DIN reg would pop up. Either that, or buy one of the new "no-name" first stages that sometimes get advertised for around the $75 mark (I'd never dive with one though). Just make sure that you have an OPV on the reg, because if the HP seat goes or something, you could suddenly be blowing 3000psi of gas through a hose rated to around 300psi, and into your analyser. Bad bad bad.

Also some form of pressure relief so that you can depressurise the regulator so that you can get it off the tank! In a pinch you could just hook it up to your BC and hit the inflate button to depressurise the reg, but that could be a pain. Maybe jury-rig a pressure relief mechanism like you would see on an IP gauge, or even just get an IP gauge with a relief and keep it in your analyser case, and just plug it in to the inflator hose once you've finished analysing. Multitude of ways to solve the problem.

The low pressure inflator hose just has a schrader valve (same as in a tire valve stem on an auto) in the quick disconnect end.

All you "need to bleed" is a stick of some sort to depress the schrader.

Tobin

fubari:
ok... I don't know much about regulators, so is this a good idea? I'd welcome alternatives.

I'm looking for an easier way to o2-analyze tanks. I'm getting tired of dragging out my diving reg & console to O2 check a tank - my analyzer feeds off of a BCD inflator.

I want to find a cheap DIN first stage (300bar, 7thread). I think that means used; I'm looking smth I can that can feed a pressure gauge and an O2 analyzer. I'm just doing basic nitrox (40% or less), but will probably go to advanced some day so I'm thinking O2 cleanable will be a concern. I don't plan on diving this, so I don't think I'll need a 2nd stage.

Am I being penny-wise and pound-foolish considering used gear? Is there a really obvious thing on the market that is already configured like this?

Thanks for your consideration.
How about this...

http://216.26.227.250/tdl/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_30&products_id=113

Add a yoke adapter if you need one and change the hose thingy to a short 6" or so inflator hose and away you go. Or you can just get the appropriate bits to connect directly to your O2 sensor.

Mark Vlahos

Mark is kinda on the right track. This is essentially a flow restrictor. If you need to you can buy a yoke adapter, but these are great either way.
You don't have to adjust the flow at all. Just attach it and opent he valve all the way. You attach the surgical tubing from this to your analyzer. This eliminates the need for a flow meter. OMS sells them too. there is a more complete description here: http://www.omsdive.com/oxanalyz.html

Mark Vlahos:
How about this...

http://216.26.227.250/tdl/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_30&products_id=113

Add a yoke adapter if you need one and change the hose thingy to a short 6" or so inflator hose and away you go. Or you can just get the appropriate bits to connect directly to your O2 sensor.

Mark Vlahos
Mark V: that is an interesting gadget - google brought me to the usermanual (pdf) for the analyzer, but it doesn't say much about what it does port-wise : from the image I think I can make out two ports; I'm guessing they'd both be low pressure. I'm leaning towards a real first stage just because I want to run a pressure gauge off it and feed the analyzer at the same time. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

fubari:
Mark V: that is an interesting gadget - google brought me to the usermanual (pdf) for the analyzer, but it doesn't say much about what it does port-wise : from the image I think I can make out two ports; I'm guessing they'd both be low pressure. I'm leaning towards a real first stage just because I want to run a pressure gauge off it and feed the analyzer at the same time. Hmm... decisions, decisions.
Hi,

I called Joel to ask about somthing else and also asked about this item, he said that you can NOT mount a pressure guage on this little gem, but is does pass a repeatable flow of gas. This is important for calibration purposes. I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 3 Lpm.

If you go the regulator route remember that you will need to get the reg O2 cleaned if you are planning on using high concentration mixes either for calibration or actual breathing gas. You will need to ensure that any air tanks you use for calibration have good clean air (O2 compatible) in them. At least you will need to worry about these things if you are the type that doesn't like regulator fires!

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
Hi,

I called Joel to ask about somthing else and aslo asked about this item, he said that you can NOT mount a pressure guage on this little gem, but is does pass a repeatable flow of gas. This is important for calibration purposes. I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 3 Lpm.
Mark Vlahos
No, you cannot mount a pressure gauge but I would go this route as your flow rate is always guaranteed. yes it was anywhere between 2-3 LPM. I always laugh at the guy on the boat trying to watch the flowmeter in rough seas.
Me, I just turn the tank on full blast and let er rip the reg takes care of the rest. no mucking about.
Pressure for meis usually double checked at the filling station.
this thing is not a regulator . it simpley restricts the amount of air that is flowing. it hos not ports LP or HP. simply a vent where you attach a piece of surg tube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom