Budget dive trip to Aqaba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Israel for a month and would love to checkout Aqaba for a week+ . Does anyone know any good budget dive operators or places to stay? Ideally I would want to spend no more then $100 a day with everything. Any info is GREATLY appreciated.

-Oren

Will be interesting to read you report orenbvip - Aqaba is a relatively new and unknown dive destination, unlike big resorts in the Egyptian Red Sea - let us know how it goes!

Cheers

C.

I'm not sure about budget accommodation options in Aqaba but you absolutely can't go wrong with Dive Aqaba - see Dive Aqaba - PADI Dive Center & PADI TecRec Center - Red Sea - Jordan, a great family-run dive operation run by the extremely experienced Rod Abbotson (they list budget hotels on their website). I dived with them a few times while I was living in Jordan from 2009-2010, including doing my AOW course with them.

Seems like the International Arab Divers Village is quite a bargain. Bear in mind though that they are 12km south of Aqaba City so you'll have to use taxis or rental cars to travel between the two (public transport in Jordan is not very plentiful). I get the feeling they mainly offer shore dives, so you might want check if they offer boat dives too - dive sites extend a fair distance both north and south from where they are located. (Compare with Dive Aqaba, which is all boat diving so offers more flexibility with dive sites).

Also check out the 'Diving in Aqaba' section of the incredibly useful Ruth's Jordan Jubilee website - see Canyoning in Jordan

Unfortunately I cannot assist with the accommodations aspect of your question (as I booked my local stay with hotel points), but I would highly recommend Dive Aqaba. Very friendly and experienced dive team. Their shop is a nice central location as well, which makes it convenient to most city hotels.

Will be interesting to read you report orenbvip - Aqaba is a relatively new and unknown dive destination, unlike big resorts in the Egyptian Red Sea - let us know how it goes!

Cheers

C.

Not necessarily considered new and unknown.....I worked there back in '87-'89 and there were a couple of dive ops and they were getting european divers coming down in small-er-ish numbers. The Cedar Pride was already sunk before I got there, and when he was still known as Prince Abdullah (now HM King Abdullah), he was trying to push tourism and diving there in Aqaba. Believe it or not, I was the personal waterskiing and SCUBA instructor for the Royal Family. Handled all diving, snorkeling, waterskiing and a fair amount of the ski boat driving for the Family and their guests. Worked out of the Palace that is located right by the Jord/Israeli border. I have tons of great memories of the Royal Family (especially King Hussein and now King Abdullah....both very kind, generous, caring men), many guests and some great diving in Jordan and Egypt. The Family had lots of nice boats so we went to some areas that probably hadn't even been dived before. I also made a trip down to Sharm on my own and had a great time there as well. Glad I went when I did considering how things are now, although I was never able to visit Israel back then as there was no travel allowed back and forth at that time. I wonder if the Chinese restaraunt is still there...it's where I got hooked on Amstel beer!!!! LOL

+1 for Dive Aqaba, dived with them twice last year (Feb and Oct), they can arrange accommodation next door if required. Nitrox available, easy boat diving and relaxed atmosphere.

The only drawback is the bureaucracy in arranging the daily dive permits etc., boat cannot leave until the signed document is faxed back. I am not sure how this applies to shore diving.

Good food on Dive Aqaba's boat too.

Back
Top Bottom