Buddy refused treatment for DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naturaldiver

Reaction score
I have a friend, Bob, that went diving 75 ft. to a wreck off Miami, FL. Anyway, he let his air get down to 500 and then because of a communication problem with his dive buddy and some other problem wound up surfacing on an empty tank and holding his breath. There were mistakes made all around but he developed DCS. He then went down on two more dives, which actually helped some, but not enough. He hid this from the dive operators, but by the time were headed back home and he told me my buddy was in great pain, despite taking 4 doses of valium. He had all the classical symptoms - difficulty breathing, headache, pain, numbness and tingling. I tried, in vain, to get him to get treatment. Irony is that he'd applied for DAN, but the check had bounced.

Anyway, it's a couple of weeks later and my bud has not been treated and gets occasional pains. I am worried but don't know what the danger is at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

Get To A Doctor, now.

DAN will provide assistance to the local practitioner even if he isn't covered. Of course, they won't pay for the treatment.

Tell him that next time, he shouldn't be such a dumb A** unless the idea of potentially permanent disability appeals to him.

valium?

I'm interested to read Dr. Deco's comments on this one.

I guess if your gonna screw your self up, may as well be happy while doing it. Had a call to a major metro airport. MD had been diving then flew. Knew better but he though he was fine. Showed up and he refused service, just want some o2 for a few minutes. Gave it to him while trying to tell him what was going to happen. Still refused. We left. 15 minutes later another rig was sent back, C3 toi the local chamber he went!....It's not something to be ashamed of people, treat it!

naturaldiver:
I have a friend, Bob, that went diving 75 ft. to a wreck off Miami, FL. Anyway, he let his air get down to 500 and then because of a communication problem with his dive buddy and some other problem wound up surfacing on an empty tank and holding his breath. There were mistakes made all around but he developed DCS. He then went down on two more dives, which actually helped some, but not enough. He hid this from the dive operators, but by the time were headed back home and he told me my buddy was in great pain, despite taking 4 doses of valium. He had all the classical symptoms - difficulty breathing, headache, pain, numbness and tingling. I tried, in vain, to get him to get treatment. Irony is that he'd applied for DAN, but the check had bounced.

Anyway, it's a couple of weeks later and my bud has not been treated and gets occasional pains. I am worried but don't know what the danger is at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

Classic Quote "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"

I know you must have been frantic trying to get him to see a doctor. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you question. I just had to comment through. I really hopes your friend Bob gets medical treatment before his condition goes from bad to worse.

If in fact your buddy is now several weeks post-DCS, then whatever damage that may have been done has been done. The offending bubbles & bodily reactions are now long over, although there may be some continuing improvement in the pains with time. Whatever treatment he receives is likely to be symptomatic in nature.

One does not need to be a member of DAN to get inquiries answered. The agency may be contacted by calling (919) 684-2948 (Mon-Fri, 9AM-5PM EST) or by submitting questions via e-mail to http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/email.asp?RE=Medicine.

BTW, you may wish to tell your friend that Valium is not an analgesic, but rather an anti-anxiety agent. As such, there is little reason to expect that used by itself it would have ameliorated his pain in any direct fashion.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom