Buddy problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went ahead & started that poll at What Kind Of Insta-buddy Experience Do You Prefer? so as not to derail this thread too badly.

Since agencies teach NDL buddy diving classes, the buddy system is pretty standard and well known.

I see your point, but what % of the time is it practiced that way? And what happens if what the agencies push at the basic level is much different from what a substantial portion of the diving public wants? (Getting a sense of what some want led to that poll).

If someone can't pull that off they will be embarrassed when they find a rescue is in progress for them, depending on the skipper, when there is a buddy missing and has not surfaced.

That does sound embarrassing. On the other hand, a couple of questions (and I'll assume mainstream Caribbean or maybe Florida Keys rec. diving, with a lot of tourists, since the California dive scene is different from what many divers are used to in terms of independence)...

1.) I wonder what % of divers actually surface to institute a search after loss of buddy for 1 minute plus? This answer would need to be separate for an independent buddy pair vs. a group following a guide. I'm not asking what they should do, but what they really do.

2.) Let's say every diver in the Caribbean region who experienced buddy separation over 1 minute surfaced, signaled the boat & tried to institute a lost buddy search. How much disruption in daily operations would this cause? In other words, is this something the industry would really want to see happen (as opposed to claiming they do)?

There are no specific answers to be had, but perhaps someone cares to venture a hunch as to roughly how these things work real world?

Richard.

1. If I am buddy diving I do. In a group, if no buddy's are assigned, I'll be the problem since I'm usually a solo diver.

2. It would be interesting to find out. One of problems with how divers act is the difference between what they are taught, and how operators disregard those same principals.

Bob

Back on the boat, Ron and Wally seem highly amused by Jack's impromptu solo excursion and cheerfully allow him back into the water for the day's second dive.

Chuck is pissed.

Not sure why Chuck would be pissed. Allowing Jack to dive again and not questioning his decision making during the dive seems to be consistent with the crew's decision to bring a group of novice divers to the oil rigs. The worst part of this story is that the divers didn't have the perspective to understand what they were getting into, that the oil rigs are definitely not for "trust me" dives.

The handful of times I've been to the rigs, the group has been told well in advance "this dive is only for advanced divers; if you're not sure whether or not you qualify... you don't."

Unfortunately the "cool" factor of diving at the rigs tends to override common sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom