buddy out of air emergency...and the lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is my first time posting in this part of the site. I have been involved in small situations while diving but this one I feel is worth posting. FYI. I am OW, AOW,Nitrox,Rescue trained.
Sunday, a dive with 2 others, one of which is a new DM and his friend. Get a dive plan organized while gearing up. We get into the water @ Whytecliff to check out the anenome gardens. descend at the point and meet at the bottom(20') group check. I am lead, buddy #1, then the DM. everyone signals OK. 30' recheck group, OK signalled back. Same for 50'. Get to 70' and I turn to recheck buddies. Buddies are there, but as I signal OK, buddy #1 is signalling out of air. (I have practiced many times U/W but as drills. You never want to have it actually happen). Now my bad but for a split second, my first thought was "we did not talk about doing drills", especially @ 70'. Then realizing that whether or not a drill buddy needs air! I pull my long hosed primary and hand to buddy and plug my face with backup. Buddy is more than glad to have my reg in his mouth. BUT not first fighting to get the reg. I have had this happen in drills where I grab the reg hose too close to the reg and buddy cannot accept it because my hand was in the way. but I am worried that the reg will swivel and freeflow. Anyhow, I was getting stressed and breathing heavy due to this being my first situation like this.
We all ascended. Everyone OK at the surface. I asked what happened when everything WAS ok. Buddy says his air was on and he had read his guage pressure to me at the parking lot predive. I get thinking and sure enough his tank valve was BARELY turned open. He thanked me so much.
My other concern was for the DM following. At this point I also find valuable info, as the buddy was a week out of his open water training!!!! Had I known that before we should not have gone to 70' in the first place and a more rigorous safety check in the lot. Why did the DM not see any distress in the diver ahead of him. ie. bubbles or lack of, stressed movements. I am just darn glad I turned around when I did to see the signal for OOA!!!!! That is something I am always doing is checking buddies for OK and psi on any dive.
Lessons learned:
- always find out as much info about who you are diving with predive!
- practice drills of all kinds OFTEN so that handling emergencies will come second nature
- take training ie: courses to better oneself. It may save a life oneday!
- recheck with buddies often.
- in my mind, while ascending, I thought about what I had just been thru. I thought about the steps I had followed and what could I have changed if given a second chance (under simulation of course ).
1) passing the reg
2) slow breathing down. I admit I was stressed and that can be a bad thing for the rescuer.
3) I thought of my OW training and the instructors training.
- regain control..... of yourself
- respond..... to the situation
- react..... in a safe manner

I hope this can be read by all and I am open to critique and feedback. End result, making better divers out of all of us and learn from others mistakes...small or big.
safe diving,
Les

Sounds like you did a good job Les in the OOA situation, all came back up to the surface ok and some lessons were learned. The bottom line, the OOA diver made it to the surface. Moving forward...

First and foremost, the OOA diver should have the hurden of responsibility for himself. This comes to equipment setup to chiming in during the planning and saying what his limitations are. Granted, it may be awkward for a new diver to say that he has some limitations, but all involved want to know about it before the dive. A few minutes of convo can give you a good feel for the other diver(s) in the group... last dive, cert history, number of dives, normal locations and conditions. With new divers, this can be a subtle way of incorpating exper. into a dive plan without making him or her uncomfortable in front of others.

First suggestion, talk about the plan before gearing up, the new diver may have been focusing on his equip instead of being involved in the planning aspects (task loading). If you see someone fumbling with their gear on the surface, it is a good bet that their water skills may be lacking as well. It is not only a DM who can offer a hand with equip or in the water (but if you recognize potenial trouble, you need to point it out to the DM).

As far as recognizing stress... it doesn't take much time from getting no air to panic mode. The new diver may have been doing ok up until he realized he was not getting air... he could have made the situation much worse by doing a bolt to the surface. At least it sounds like he maintained his composure and signalled OOA.

In the plan itself, I assume you were the OOA divers buddy and the DM was in more of a supervisory role. If that is the case... it may explain why the DM was a little more toward the passive side. Again, all stuff to work into the dive plan, not simply the mechanics of the dive.

Les - that is so awesome! It sounds like you are a wonderful dive buddy. I am newly certified as well and I think I would be nervous too. It is great that you were able to regain control and think so that you could respond. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing this experience with us.

What happened to the basic buddy check here? Evidentally someone taught the OW diver who went OOA to crank back the valve half a turn. Very bad practice, IMO.

This is not meant as a criticism of the OP, but the DM present didn't do the PADI BWRAF with his OW friend. For donating the long hose, the 5thd-x video "Essentials" demonstrates a technique that is virtually fool proof. The trick is grabbing your primary with your right hand near the swivel with your fingers toward your face. You rotate your arm like doing a karate punch while ducking your head a bit and the donated reg will end up right in the OOA diver's face.

I didn't mean to imply that you were remiss. I do think the DM was remiss as he was the professional in the dive.

Les - great job!
You acted according to your training and you saved the guy from bolting to the surface. Very well done.

I think it is all to easy to beat yourself up over small details. Bottom line - you saved another diver and that is ultimately what you need to reflect on.

It is easy for those of us on the internet to back seat drive and tell you what you should have done better. I just hope when I get a real OOA that I react as effectively as you did.

TheRedHead:
What happened to the basic buddy check here? Evidentally someone taught the OW diver who went OOA to crank back the valve half a turn. Very bad practice, IMO.

Please explain to this newbie why this is a bad practice? I was taught to crank the valve back, actually a quarter turn.

alicatfish:
Please explain to this newbie why this is a bad practice? I was taught to crank the valve back, actually a quarter turn.

Because you can turn your air off and crank it back and breathe off the reg just fine until about 60 feet or deeper. I had it happen to me because a boat mate turned my air off and cranked it back on the way to the dive platform and I didn't know it. I failed to do a valve check before descending and my AI computer didn't show the customary bounce in pressure that would be apparent with a guage.

Les:
I pull my long hosed primary and hand to buddy and plug my face with backup. Buddy is more than glad to have my reg in his mouth. BUT not first fighting to get the reg. I have had this happen in drills where I grab the reg hose too close to the reg and buddy cannot accept it because my hand was in the way. but I am worried that the reg will swivel and freeflow. Anyhow, I was getting stressed and breathing heavy due to this being my first situation like this.

I was taught to always hold the regulator by the hose at the swivel when you stuff it in your buddies mouth. This prevents you from covering the mouthpiece by accident and from covering the purge by accident, but maintains positive contact and control during the situtation. Holding at the swivel also stabalizes the orientation of the regulator, helping to prevent freeflow.

Les, you did a great job!

As far as the question about turning the tank valve back a 1/4, after opening it, it is not necessary. It is important though, after checking that the valve is open, to take a few good breaths, on the surface with the second stage and look at your air indicator gauge. If it moves, there is problem and that is not good. It has happened previously where the air is turned on, then mistakenly turned off and the pressure gauge will still read 3,000 PSI.

By taking a few breath on the surface, the problem should be self evident.

DanBMW:
If it moves, there is problem and that is not good. It has happened previously where the air is turned on, then mistakenly turned off and the pressure gauge will still read 3,000 PSI.

It doesn't work that way with some AI computers with a partially opened valve as I found out. You need the check the valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom