Buddy Link

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadedeeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,

I saw a very interesting little piece of equipment at the local Dive show that seemed like a simple yet smart idea called Buddy Link. I am curious if anyone has had any experience with them yet. Its a relatively new company but I am curious if there are any divers who have tried them yet and what their experiences were with them. I was really curious how well the little suction cup holds and whether divers have had to dummy cord them because they fall off or not. If anyone has had any interaction with them...let me know...very curious and would buy them if they have good reviews. For those that don't know what I'm talking about...the website is Buddy-Link: Connecting Divers... In the Blink Of An Eye. I would just buy it myself but I didn't feel like shelling out $300-350 for the pair without knowing more or getting some reviews.

Sadly, it was the only "new" item that I saw this year at the show...unless I missed something.

It looks a big gimmicky to me, mate.

I can't really see an application for it, to be honest. For about $40 you can have one of these:

1691-DEFAULT-m.jpg

and just flash your buddy with it to get his/her attention. It's also useful as a backup light.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning on using it?

R..

Looks like a waste of money to me.

I don't think it is a bad idea, but it is just too pricey IMO. $350 is a lot of cash that could be spent on a tank banger or similar and something really cool. I am sure this will be a feature that finds itself in diving computers eventually. You can already check your partners air so it can't be that far off.

I actually wouldn't have any need for this in low viz . . . it's in bright, sunlit water where lights don't work very well that I think it would be interesting. I think it's a neat idea, but I'm not quite ready to toss out $350 to see if something works.

I saw that too...I thought it was a good idea too but too expensive. As for all the people so full of brilliant ideas about how lights work...yeah...maybe at night...but what the hell are you using during the day and don't say tank bangers cuz they don't seem to get the attention of either of my dive buddies. 1. they can't hear anything with hoods, 2. they aren't paying attention and listening for a barely audible banging...I never do...when they bang. If it were cheaper I might buy it...I kinda like the idea of the silly little thing.

I wish I could say a tank banger or light worked with my pops. Unfortunately his hearing isn't great and his sight is worse..but he loves to dive and I love to dive with him. I liked the little device because it seemed impossible for anyone to miss the flashing light since its on your mask. I appreciate the responses...and if anyone has used the spendy little thing then let me know. thanks all.

I've wondered about something like this before. As I've mentioned in prior posts, my dive buddy is my 14 year old son. It seems we gravitate towards activities that we do together but separated. Case in point, snowmobiling. The rules in NH are that at his age he can drive his own machine as long as I have "control" over his actions. Well, how do you control someone riding in front of you if they go down the wrong trail? I felt impotent waiting for him to look back at me waving my arms widely. I finally solved that issue with wireless communicators attached to the helmuts.
In scuba, I think eventually we will have something like a Blackberry attached to our wrists that will hum or vibrate if your buddy wants to send you a message. Till then, my son and I will have a subalert (which we try to use as infrequently as possible) and wrist slate and hand signals. Sign language is another option.

I had read about these in a mag once, and got to see one at the Tacoma Dive and Travel show. I have to say after seeing them, I was more interested. But, alas, the price set me off.

Basically, that little item suction cups to the upper corner of your mask. Your buddy has one, too. If you lay your finger into the little depression that's in the unit, it triggers your buddy's and they see a little LED light. It's very clear, and very near, so you won't miss it. Nor will it blind you, of course. =-)

This would not replace good buddy skills. It's not meant to. But honestly... when two people who are familiar with each other and comfortable in their own and each other's habits, let's face it: we don't always stick shoulder to shoulder. I can totally see wanting this when I FINALLY find that little devil that my partner has had on their "most wanted" list. I could just tap the plastic, they'd orient to me, I could signal to "come here" and stay in position with my eye on the prize until they got to me.

It could have some low viz applications. With a well know partner, you could set up a morse-code like set of signals that meant something like, "Where are you?" "I'm still here; I'll stay put so you can seek/find me" I guess. Because nothing's worse than two people circling around some feature in the pea soup trying to locate one another. =-)

Neat idea and I really wanted to try it out. For $200 I would have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom