Buddy having trouble mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good afternoon!

I am taking SSI Open Water Diver with a friend right now. We completed dive #2 last weekend and we're doing #3 this weekend. First off I am having no issues with anything. I am asking a question here for my buddy doing the course with me.

He has a small hole in the roof of his mouth that connects to the nose, right by the right nostril. It's a very small hole, like maybe a millimeter or less in diameter.

We discovered last weekend with mask clearing drills that he couldn't do it because water would leak from his nose into his mouth whenever he'd take the mask off under the surface. He's worried he won't be able to complete the course now.

Anyone got any input on things he may be able to try to make this work? I don't want this to be what stops him from certification, he's been excited to do this for a while and will be understandably very sad.

I suggested he see if he can plug the hole with his tongue temporarily, but he's not sure if that will work.

Thank you!

He shouldn't be getting much, if any, water in his nose during mask clearing drills. I'd recommend he exhale gently through his nose while the mask is off, then exhale more forcefully through the nose once the mask is back on. Plugging the fistula with the tongue (assuming this is an oronasal fistula) may help.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom