Buddy for big island shore diving 5/8 - 5/15?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJason

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

It's been suggested on a previous thread that I could find some possible dive buddies for some shore diving at Place of Refuge. While that is an option, I'm maybe hoping to avoid the whole "Hi, I'm a stranger - could I possibly follow you around with my camera underwater?" exchange.

Is there anyone out there willing to maybe go out with me a couple of times next week for some basic shore diving. And when I say basic, I don't mean relating to my skills or certifications - I'm not looking for anything fancy, just someone who knows the sites, and who wouldn't mind taking this Seattle-area diver out since the wife would kill me if I jumped in solo at some random beach access location.

I've been certified for almost six years now and have over 300 logged dives - and only four have been in water outside the Puget Sound. I am advanced open water certified and while I'm nitrox certified as well, I rarely, if ever, dive with nitrox.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

It's not that no one wants to go diving with you, its that "City of Refuge" is a mecca for the happy-go-lucky "pick-up" dive group. Everyone is friendly and happy. If you don't want to go with this 2-3 person group that just met on the beach, then wait 10 minutes and you will meet a couple more people. Already went south on the reef, wait another 10 minutes and a group will form that wants to go north. It's like watching small fish broadcast spawn... first there is no fish to be found, then a small group forms to say hello my name is "Bob the Fish", and then they are gone divin'. Bring the wife, the place is beautiful. KEEP IN MIND, lava rock hurts, so have about 4 towels for your wife to lay on top of while she catches some sun and watches your stuff.

PS. leave nothing visible of any value in your car. Have your dive gear set up in the trunk so you can open remove and close the lid.

Matthew

Hi Matt --

Thanks for the information - that helps a bit. At this point, I don't even know if I'll be doing any shore diving (depends on schedules) but at least you and others have confirmed that PoR is pretty happy go lucky for pick-up diving.

LioKai:
PS. leave nothing visible of any value in your car. Have your dive gear set up in the trunk so you can open remove and close the lid.

Matthew

Have there been problems at Two Step? We've always had good luck, and it's usually so busy I never worried too much about it.

Jason, we're there the day you leave. Too bad. We shore dive just about every day while there and we're pokey photographers too (at least I will be soon...first trip with the camera).

Have a great time. You'll have no problem finding people to dive with at Two Step.

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Have there been problems at Two Step?
Gregg

To the best of my knowledge, no. But my advice to Jason will help keep it that way.

I have heard of minor problems at other locations. Even paradise has a few parasites. Better safe than sorry when you are driving a rental car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom