Buddies and diving Curacao and Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All decided...we are off to Curacao about Feb 6th. My spice is not a diver. I am a very experienced diver and intend to spend 3/4 of my time wet. Is there a dive "buddy board" in Curacao? Is anyone else going sans buddy? We will be staying at various places that interest my spice..so probably NOT a dive resort but we plan to rent a car. I'd love to find a buddy or two that doesn't require a baby sitter and that matches my curiosity, sense of adventure and air usage.

Also, is there an inexpensive way to pop over to Bonaire for a day or two of diving. Preferably by boat rather than plane?:D :D

Cougar
Too bad you aren't going in March....Try scubatexastony he lives there (Curacao)

Cougar...Unfortunately no boat service between Curacao & Bonaire. You need to fly. I suspect though that if you made it to Bonaire, you might not want to go back to Curacao!

The best diving in Curacao is on the far west side. Fortunatly for your wife, the beaches there are nice too. There are usually a few people diving all the time at the more popular sites. Worst case scenario, you can triple up with someone.

As for getting between the two islands, it's a really long boat ride, hence there are no ferries. You're into a $150 plane ticket. The diving on the west side of Curacao is every bit as good as that of Bonaire, there's just a lot more good spots in Bonaire. The island of Bonaire is a lot nicer and so are the people. Curacao is definately more European where as Bonaire is more Caribbean.

95yj:
The best diving in Curacao is on the far west side. Fortunatly for your wife, the beaches there are nice too. There are usually a few people diving all the time at the more popular sites. Worst case scenario, you can triple up with someone.

As for getting between the two islands, it's a really long boat ride, hence there are no ferries. You're into a $150 plane ticket. The diving on the west side of Curacao is every bit as good as that of Bonaire, there's just a lot more good spots in Bonaire. The island of Bonaire is a lot nicer and so are the people. Curacao is definately more European where as Bonaire is more Caribbean.
95yj said: "Fortunatly for your wife, the beaches there are nice too."
Thank you for your kind response. However, my spouse is a husband of 15 years. He got a good laugh out of your post. Quite similiar to the asssumption by some that the physics texts in our home library are his...they are mine...as is the spirit of adventure and the passion for diving. He is the non-diver...he also doesn't do beaches, sand or even seafood:>) I've been to Bonaire...I loved it...but non-beach, non-diving husband prefers a cities to wander through. Where I go when he tags along and where I go alone are different places. Bonaire doesn't have enough for him to do. (I was thinking if it was a reasonable boat ride I might get one day over there) He is comletely good with me diving wherever and with whomever I choose...then we get together for dinner or a social activity. I dive every day...he sleeps alot. He doesn't even swim, snorkle or do hot tubs and will be a cold day in hell before I can convince him to get wet...but he's a sweetheart. I am smart enough to know that decent dive buddies are way easier to come by than great husbands.:heart: :D

LOL Oops my bad.

Poor jump to conclusion on my part. While I run across a whole lot of male divers that leave their wives on the beach, we have quite a few female divers whose husbands sit at the pier at the bar watching the game. Guess the name Cougar threw me also. Sorry for the faux pau. (Open mouth, insert fin)

Don't believe the crap about all the "good" diving is on the west end, just gotta know what us locals know....:wink:

If you're up for a day trip, Klien Curacao is prime wall diving. It's about an hour or so and they make you a bbq lunch on the island. I think it's around 120 Naf for the outing.

Call when you get in, and have a safe flight!

Wow. I agree with you that Klein Curacao is great diving, but that's not actually shore diving from Curacao. It takes a two hour boat ride to get there. I've only been over to Klein Curacao twice. The vis is great and the walls are really nice. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone to take me to the caves on the north end yet. Went there once on the Mermaid; what an ugly boat, but it did the trick, the crew was great and the food was better. The first trip was on the Insulinde. That was a great day; nice sail, great dives, great crew, good food. I get over to Curacao about six times a year for work, maybe you can hook me up with someone to take me to the "shark" cave.

Regarding my previous statement about shore diving, I still believe the nicest reefs accessbile on shore dives are on the far west side of Curacao and they are at least as good if not better than any of the reefs in Bonaire. That said, I really like Vaersenbaai and Porto Mari too.

Regarding wrecks, the Superior Producer is a really kewl dive if you can find someone who knows how to go in one side, through the engine room at 100' and back out the other side.

95yj:
maybe you can hook me up with someone to take me to the "shark" cave.

Regarding my previous statement about shore diving, I still believe the nicest reefs accessbile on shore dives are on the far west side of Curacao and they are at least as good if not better than any of the reefs in Bonaire. That said, I really like Vaersenbaai and Porto Mari too.

Regarding wrecks, the Superior Producer is a really kewl dive if you can find someone who knows how to go in one side, through the engine room at 100' and back out the other side.

I bet I can find you a guide/ buddy to do the cave. Alice n' Wonderland, both the Knips, Playa Kenepa, and even Playa Piskado are nice shore dives on the west end. There's some nice ones close to town too....:D Porto Mari is an interesting reef, nice beach and the price is right!

A night penetration dive is the ultimate on the SP, although you gotta' watch out when the current is heavy.

Maybe we can get in some dives some weekend when you're here again.

Back
Top Bottom