Bruises related to DCI/DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kid@heart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I asked this in "Accidents and Incidents" and got great answers, but was also referred to Dr. Decompression with this question:

Is bruising a common symptom of DCI or DCS?

Background: I'm 48-year-old woman in fair shape. Last year I developed bruising on my arms (possibly from the diveboat ladder too) and broken eye capillaries during the flights home from Cozumel. SI was 18 hrs prior to the flight after multiple dives all week (all within limits). I did have a new mask and was tolerating some squeeze because equalizing was causing alot of fogging (I know, don't do that again!). I was very tired (but happy) after the week of diving. Just wondering about the link between DCI and DCS and should I be more conservative with the SI from now on?

Also, I take an NSAID daily (diclofenac). I've never been told that's a problem, but could it be anti-coagulating enough to cause bruising? Thinking I should stop it a week before diving. ?
Thanks!

I'm far from any expert....
Also, I take an NSAID daily (diclofenac). I've never been told that's a problem, but could it be anti-coagulating enough to cause bruising? Thinking I should stop it a week before diving. ?
Thanks!
...but any anti-coagulant would increase the chance of a bruise as well as of of blood shot eyes.

Thanks DandyDon! Actually, the Rx I take is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (like Advil or Naproxen) for an old partial achilles tendon rupture -- it's not an anti-coagulant per se, so I don't know if it has anti-coag properties (like aspirin does). I'm just guessing that it does. Probably will hold it in any case and just be achey, but it would be nice to hear "don't worry about it."
I'm smiling at your icon.. are you a horseperson or just a gentleman and a rogue? I've been into horses since I could walk and still have six of my own. (Hence the ruptured achilles...). Anyway -- love the icon! He is on the move, ain't he?!?

kid@heart:
Thanks DandyDon! Actually, the Rx I take is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (like Advil or Naproxen) for an old partial achilles tendon rupture -- it's not an anti-coagulant per se, so I don't know if it has anti-coag properties (like aspirin does). I'm just guessing that it does. Probably will hold it in any case and just be achey, but it would be nice to hear "don't worry about it."
I'm smiling at your icon.. are you a horseperson or just a gentleman and a rogue? I've been into horses since I could walk and still have six of my own. (Hence the ruptured achilles...). Anyway -- love the icon! He is on the move, ain't he?!?
Well, I dropped the ball again - misread your actual question. Here's details on your med: http://www.drugs.com/diclofenac.html May not be the problem at all.

Thanks, just thought it was time for an avatar change. But it's almost time again....

Hi Kid:

The meds can cause bleeding in some individuals. Possibly you simply bumped something too hard.

I'm not a doctor, but I just heard one (a dive doc) not one week ago describe one form of the bends as a skin "rash" or bruise. The cause is microbubbles impeding circulation in small capillaries close to your skin.

So, I wouldn't necessarily assume your bruise is just a bruise.

This is hearsay though, so maybe someone smarter than I will care to comment :wink:

I don't know where the bruising was on your arms, but I've had BC straps do it.

NSAIDs all have the potential to inhibit platelet aggregation, although none of them is anywhere near as potent in that action as aspirin. This would lead to a larger bruise if blood vessels were damaged.

Although I have never actually seen it, the descriptions I have read of skin bends do not sound like bruising -- it's a red discoloration rather than the purple of a new bruise.

Back
Top Bottom