Broken Bow info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryanh1985

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to get out of town for a few days tomorrow, and am thinking about heading up to Broken Bow, I have never been their and always heard great stuff about it. Mainly just going to camp, relax, and fish.

Where is a good place to camp?

Any good places to get in a few shore dives?

Anyone know if their is good places to get a nice ride in, on a road bike?

Any other info would be awesome.

Thanks a lot yall,

Ryan:D

camping in Beavers Bend State Park is very nice. Good biking all over. Very hilly. Good dives east of the island off Stephens Gap Park. Also good dives on the Beavers Bend side near the spillway dam along the wall. Deep, cold and dark. Drysuit preferred. Bottom in excess of 160' (or so I've heard) out from Stephens Gap. Greater than 120' on the Beavers Bend side. Cool rock formations including quartz and slate at both sites. Tree tops at 90' or so. Steep walls. Poye and Knappenberger give it two thumbs up. PM Frank. I bet he'll meet you there with the Gypsy Girl. Have fun!

Thanks for the info Craig. Looks like Beavers Bend it is. :D

<< Now Googling all the dive areas. :coffee:

Ps - brown trout on dry flies in Beavers Bend. They also have rainbows. Walleye in the lake. Smallmouth in the nearby streams. There is a park about 5 miles downstream with good trout fishing as well. Fun whitewater canoeing downstream also.

Ps - brown trout on dry flies in Beavers Bend. They also have rainbows. Walleye in the lake. Smallmouth in the nearby streams. There is a park about 5 miles downstream with good trout fishing as well. Fun whitewater canoeing downstream also.

What flies do you have luck with up their? Just happens I am taking my fly rod.

That would depend on the season. There are some gray mayflies that hatch in spring through mid to late summer. Size 14 or 16 dark cahills work as do any number of other darker mid sized dries. The nymphs are well represented by a size 16 pheasant tail. During an active hatch, a wet cahill with a dry cahill about 2' above it as a dropper can be a good choice. The fish aren't that picky so a lot of other things work like olive wooly boogers and streamers in size 10 or so. Late summer and winter are different so you'll have to check back if you're up there that long. There used to be a fly shop just at the turn off to Beavers Bend. They would be a good source of info and flies if you don't tie your own.

Awesome thanks again for all the info. Its going to be a great time. Ill check out the fly store, I need a few odds and ends anyways.

Back
Top Bottom