Broke my camera...need advice on a new one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlmainer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Sea & Sea MX-10 film camera w/strobe. It took great pictures w/great color until I dropped and broke it. I am trying to decide whether to get another MX-10 or go digital. I see the advantages to digital ex. loading them on laptop as soon as dive is over etc. A friend of mine has a digital and gets good pics but not good color detail. My color is much better than her digital.
Any advise on cameras is appreciated!!

tlmainer:
I have a Sea & Sea MX-10 film camera w/strobe. It took great pictures w/great color until I dropped and broke it. I am trying to decide whether to get another MX-10 or go digital. I see the advantages to digital ex. loading them on laptop as soon as dive is over etc. A friend of mine has a digital and gets good pics but not good color detail. My color is much better than her digital.
Any advise on cameras is appreciated!!

get digital..really less expensive in long run..Do not know what your friend is doing wrong..check out images on my gallery and tell me if you can tell difference between digital images and film that I have there..With film I used to shoot up easily 10 or more rolls on a week long trip..Figure how much that costs to develop..No problem with digital.

Well I don't know a whole lot about cameras, but my Olympus 720 sw digital is shockproof if it's dropped from 5 feet or less. And yes I have accidentally tested it. Still works fine! Waterproof to 10 ft without a housing. So it's great for a clumsy wet dude like myself. I plan on getting a underwaterhousing for it soon.

Rich

what kind of camera do you use and what is the cost? do you use a strobe? were your photos on your gallery taken in macro? Great Pics!

tlmainer:
what kind of camera do you use and what is the cost? do you use a strobe? were your photos on your gallery taken in macro? Great Pics!

currently use olyumpus 5050 ikelite housing/sync cord to ike 125 strobe w/a lens for digital..still have and use 3 nikonos 5's and assorted strobes/15 mm lens/macro tubes/ for when film is desired for certain situations .
If going for digital point/shoot system now ideally would try to get a olyumpus sp350(hot shoe)ike housing/sync cord and ike 125 strobe -wa lens..I like the ability of using ttl and some of the tricks I can do using it..what ever you get digitally make sure you can set it up on manual.

SP 350 as first choice as stated above, or a Fuji E-900 as second choice.

Oly SP350 and Fuji E900 can both shoot RAW. Otherwise the Canon A640.

IMHO a film camera for underwater use is out of the question at this stage of the game.

Thanks for all of your advise. Sounds like digital is the way to go and the SP 350 looks like a good one!

tlmainer:
I am trying to decide whether to get another MX-10 or go digital. A friend of mine has a digital and gets good pics but not good color detail. My color is much better than her digital.

Color detail in digital is easier with better control of the WB. Color detail is also a byproduct of the lighting conditions, and if one is using a strobe. On a sunny day on a 25f reef with good vis, color detail will be very good even without a strobe. On a deep wreck shooting WA even in good vis color detail is going to be rather BLUE!

IMO the advantages of digital for any type of photojournalism exceed film by so much IMO it's not even worth considering film.

As to camera selection there are many factors. You can start by reading the massive number of posts on the various camera discussion where the question of what camera is asked at least multiple times a week.

Narrow camera selection down to a few models, and then you may want to post more specific questions to make a final decision.

Back
Top Bottom