Brisas diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering if the snorkling and diving out from Brisas hotel is any good.We are booked to go out on charters but thought we could put in a few beach dives as well. Do I need to bring a dive flag for Brisas beach?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

A few here had said earlier that it's OK!

When we stayed at Scuba Club (Across the road, a tad closer to town than Brisas) some folks would do the "Taxi" dive.

Take a taxi out to the lighthouse and drift back to the Club.

They enjoyed it very much, plus it was FREE!(Minus the taxi cost, minimal).

if you do a board search. But I stayed there twice this summer and snorkeled and shore dove. Of course boat dives are always better, but I found plenty of things to look at while snorkeling and shore diving from Brisas. There were tons of Christmas tree worms, featherworms, urchins, brittle stars, babies of all kinds, egg sacs, trumpetfish, needlefish, angels, parrots, sting rays, puffers, damsels...the list goes on and on.

You don't really need a dive flag for shore diving at Brisas, but if you have one you may as well bring it. It's always better to be safe than sorry! Brisas has 2 floats that divers can use while shore diving, but there are typically a few groups of divers so 2 is not enough to go around.

As far as taking the taxi to the lighthouse and drifting back to the Brisas, make sure you check the currents before you do this. There were a few days where the current changed so you could end up going against the current if you don't check to see which way it's running. Taking a cab isn't really necessary though--you can generally swim south along the wall to 1500psi then turn back and get a good long dive out of it. If the current is mild and running south to north, and you're good on air consumption, you can get all the way to the lighthouse and then drift back.

cxg31s once bubbled...
Taking a cab isn't really necessary though--you can generally swim south along the wall to 1500psi then turn back and get a good long dive out of it. If the current is mild and running south to north, and you're good on air consumption, you can get all the way to the lighthouse and then drift back.

Which wall do you mean? The Wall (out about 150 yards at that point) usually has a ripping current along it even when things are calm inshore, so that's probably not what you mean. I certainly wouldn't advise going out there and trying to swim upstream.

Even at the shoreline, though, more often than not there is more current than I'd like to swim against for the quarter mile or so back to the lighthouse. I'd cab it up to Lorena (now Caribe Blu), which is just a little farther and a much easier entry, and drift back.

you're right--I wasn't referring to the wall that's 150 yards out. I was referring to the "wall" along the shoreline, for lack of a better term. I didn't find the current along the shoreline to be a problem and was able to get all the way to the lighthouse and back. But someone else might not be able to do this and that's fine--I was just saying that it IS possible to do instead of taking a cab.

However, my point was to check the current before taking a cab south to see which way it's running. The current usually runs south to north, but if they switch and start running north to south, then taking a cab south and trying to drift back would have you swimming against the current. Take a tip from the DM's and always keep an eye on the currents--they can get crazy at times!

Are we talking about the Brisas in Cozumel? I stayed there back when it was called the Costa Club and did two night dives out of it... both more than 75 minutes. Not very deep, our only limit was my buddy's little resistance to cold water :).

We saw a lot of small things: octopi, eels, cuttlefish, hermit crabs among others; lots of rocks and little pieces of junk around where the creatures can hide. Swimming below the dock was also interesting.

While it's true that the current's direction and speed can vary, it's really hard to get in trouble close in along that stretch of shoreline as long as you keep an eye out for boat traffic. Shore is always east, and there's a place you can take out every 100 yards or so over most of it.

I like to get in at Villablanca, swim out to the Wall, drift down to the lighthouse cable (marked by the big yellow buoy), and follow it in to the lighthouse.

Jeez, I wish I were there right now!

I have never tried shore drift diving at night. How would you know when to take out? I guess you coud tie a cyalume lightstick on a string to a dive weight and toss it out front of the hotel before you go...

Also, since there are no lights at the lighthouse down at the water (except the one, of course), for that dive I would definitely recommend putting in at Lorena.

takes me about 50 cubic feet so around 1500 psi I move in to 20 ft depth. At that depth you will be able to see the marker lines, first for Brisas and then for Scuba Club. The norther portion of Villa Blanc reef is about 300 ft off shore in 35 ft after you cross the intervening grass beds. It's mostly sponges & a few small coral heads & you need to watch current & navigation. There is a Boat mooring & probably a sailboat right between the grass & the reef. It makes a good way point if you decide to give it a try.

But for the first taxi dive, make it simple & stay up along the wall in 15 ft. Lots of critters to see including seahorse. And you can't miss the docks.

Back
Top Bottom