Brinyte DIV 10 Canister Light Simple Modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of moving the 2 SS bands on the light canister.

The current location of the bands are too low, and it makes it easy for the long hose to come un-tucked.
I am thinking of shifting the SS bands higher so that the long hose is more deeply tucked in during use and more secure.

Also, the nylon loop is also too wide for 2" webbing, causing the canister to tilt at an angle during use.
I want to sew a narrower nylon loop so it grips securely on 2" webbing.

Will like to seek some advice before I move the SS bands.

1. The screws on the SS bands are well protected by some kind of hard shrink wrap material. If I cut off this shrink wrap material, where can I buy a similar replacement?

2. The SS bands are currently positioned into machined grooves on the canister, which makes them pretty secure. If I move them to a different position will they be able to grip the canister securely? Typically SS bands can be tightened down and be very secure, however these bands seem to be covered in some type of smooth shrink wrap material so i can't be sure.

3. The light head is very heavy even in water, and I am thinking of gluing or wrapping something to either the light head or goodman handle to make the head neutrally buoyant in water. I thought of tennis racket handle wraps, anyone has other ideas?

Will like to hear your advice before I try anything with the light.

1. You could probably use heat shrink tubing to replace it. You'll have to take the hose clamp completely apart,feed the tubing on, tighten, then melt. You can get this at auto and most hardware stores.

2. I'm not sure how well the hose clamps will stick, but likely well enough. Mine has another groove below, but none above.

3. Maybe some sort of foam grip to go around the handle? I use a bike grip which doesn't affect that, but a foam one likely would.

Sewing that nylon grip would likely solve your problems. Personally, I find it a non issue since I still tuck my long hose under my belt instead of under the light. I like to be able to yank the hose out, and when it's under the light you can't quite do that.

Radio Shack sells heat shrink tubing. As far as the canister goes if the stock clamps won't stick then you could try stainless steel hose clamps from the auto parts store or wrap the canister with an inner tube where you plan to attach the clamps. The rubber will create additional friction and protect the canister. For the handle you may want to try foam grips used for kayak paddles. You may be able to use that for friction with the clamps also.

I don't see reason to put heat sink on the hose clam. Other canister light I have don't have any cover on them. I would put bicycle tube around the canister where you like to move the claim. As for the loop, I don't think it needs to fit exactly 2" webbing. A bit loose should be OK

Dear all,
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I like the tip about bicycle tubing very much.
Will cut it and give it a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom