Bringing kids diving in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you are correct. She did the Bubblemaker program and is planning on doing another one in the next couple of weeks. Sorry, I confused the two. With the Bubblemaker she could only be in the pool and go to 6 feet.

We'd like to bring our grandsons (11 and 13) to Ambergris Cay this summer if we can find an operation that's comfortable with kids and a lodging that will have some other kids that the boys can spend time with after diving.

Any suggestions?

The boys took their Jr. OW certification in cozumel last year. They had the best time, loved swim-throughs and drift diving. and can't wait to get underwater again.

The water here in L.A. has about 14' viz on a good day and is just too cold for us (I know there are the fool-hardy souls who don 7mil or dry suits. but I sincerely question their sanity)

We'd be very happy to work with your boys, as would several other operators. As to where you should stay, that's a difficult one as we don't know where will have other kids staying. You want somewhere fairly close to town, and I'd suggest you look at Sunbreeze Hotel and Paradise Villas to begin with. Don't remember if I've posted this link Belize Lodging Guide, Resorts, Hotels, Accommodations, Reservations, Rooms in Belize in this thread, but it's the best source for information on local lodging. A lot depends on your budget, but these places are good mid-range places close to town.

peter is correct there are several dive centers who can do there certification. Please check to make sure they have smaller tanks 65 vs 80 and that they have children BC's typically XXS will do.
Sometimes a small mouth piece is also helpful. As for children getting certified we feel they do extremely well if they are in one one or smaller groups.

ginjig-
Peter's reccomendation of the Paradise Villas is a good one. They are close to town and within walking distance to a variety of shops and eateries. My wife and I have stayed there twice with our young daughter (now 8 yrs old) in the last 2 years. The accomodations are simple but functional. I'd look at the 2 bedroom condos. They also have a really nice pool. They can be booked through Nellie's property manangement, the service that I've used, or through Tradewinds. I think you can even book some directly with the owners but I'd stick with the first two as if their are any problems, they can be taken care of in a timely manner. As an example, our luggage didn't make it out of Seattle on Continental Airlines. It arrived at the San Pedro airport 21/2 days later. Nellies group kept track of it for us, checked with the Belize City officials, picked it up at the airport, and delivered it to our rooms.

View the link that Peter provided. If you are interested in lodging that is a bit more upscale, I'd look to either the Xanadu Resort or Banyan Bay. Both would probably make a golf cart necessary for getting into "town" but also have nice pools. Being as its summer, the slow time, I'm sure Peter's shop would provide your grandsons with some great diving. Their boats are fairly small and during that time of year wouldn't be too overcrowded. We have used Peter and his shop for the last 4 years and have never been dissapointed. Have fun and enjoy the trip, Ken :42:

I agree with the previous post about going to the keys instead of out of the country on the child's first trip.

My kid's first salt water dive was molasses reef.

I didn't have my kids with me. But I have used both Ecologic and Protech in San Pedro. I thought they both did a great job.

As an instructor: I enjoy teaching kids. 10/11 year olds can be a challenge. If they are "ready", it doesn't mitigate fear in the open water. It still plays a big factor. I have seen 10 year old "superstars" in the pool meltdown in open water because of fear.

Warm water, shallow depths. The shallows off Ambergris have a lot of Nurse Sharks. They are like puppy dogs, but to a ten year old girl, they could be "great whites".

Remove as many fear points away from her as possible.

You're right that it's easy to find nurse sharks in shallow water, but it's equally easy to avoid them if you prefer. So long as the kid isn't taught to see the shark as a threat (s)he's likely to find it fascinating, but I'd get him/her used to the underwater world first.

Certainly teaching young kids can be a challenge, one that I've declined more than I've accepted. Diving is intrinsically a potentially dangerous sport, made safe by excellent modern equipment and thorough training in the basics. Some young kids just don't have the attention span to dive safely, and I won't take those down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom