Bringing Economic Relief Post Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have just returned from a trip to Phuket, including an outstanding liveaboard experience. I have been spraying the forum with this message, so you may see various versions of this message elsewhere.

Richilieu Rock is in excellent condition, but some of the Similans (6, 7, 8, and 9) had some damage. I dived some of the damaged areas, and it is heartbreaking to see all that rubble. In other areas, Koh Bon has some significant damage as well. It was awe inspiring to see how powerful nature can be.

But still, there is plenty of great diving to be had.

Want to help?

Here's how.

Right now the biggest damage to the area is economic. Many hotels and restaurants are nearly empty. Shops cry out for customers. In the harbors, dive boats filled with tanks sit idle, waiting for divers. Massage shops ($5 for a one hour Thai massage) are empty. I heard that in one specific dive operation, people are living on approximately 1/5 of their accustomed income.

The greatest help you can provide will also help yourself. Plan your next dive trip to Thailand soon. Have a great vacation and put your money directly into the pockets of the people who need it, unfiltered by government red tape and corruption.

If you are planning an Asian trip anyway, why not make sure you go to a place where your dollars are going to help with the reconstruction efforts there?

Back
Top Bottom