Brigitte Lenoir dies in Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Shaw passed away while trying to retrieve his friend's body from (as far as I remember) 270m-deep freshwater lake in South Africa.

The body he was trying to recover was not his friend. In fact it had been resting on the bottom for a decade. Long before Shaw ever learned how to dive.

That body recovery was pointless and it looks like this one would be as well.

But that's just like my opinion, man.

Apart from the emotional closure that may be achieved by seeing a body (ok, dead for sure, let the grieving begin), is there any medical benefit of recovering the body?

Would they be able to do any tests on it to find out what failed?

I imagine that lying at whatever 200 metre plus depth, the pressure would do things to flesh n bone.

Yes, I guess I'm getting at, "what is the point? Apart from putting the mind at rest that yes, she's dead."

The equipment would be analysed. Cause of death is likely to be "drowning" regardless.

Agree with String. Cause of death is drowning regardless.

Apart from the fact that her family wants her body back, equipment analysis should reveal whether the cause of drowning was a faulty valve leading to O2 toxicity and drowning accordingly. Till now this is not a proven fact.

It is pathetic that her team did not bother bringing out a statement.

I am not a tech diver so bear with me if I ask another stupid question... Could her Buoyancy Compensator not been inflated along with an "emergency balloon attached" so the safety divers further up the line could have dealt with the body?

I am not a tech diver so bear with me if I ask another stupid question... Could her Buoyancy Compensator not been inflated along with an "emergency balloon attached" so the safety divers further up the line could have dealt with the body?
There are proper methods for towing inert/unconscious divers. Shooting someone to the surface while unconscious could bring legal and liability troubles to your door.

I cant imagine anyone anywhere wanting to dive with an "emergency balloon" attached - imagine what happened if that went off by accident!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom