Brightstar Darkbuster HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever used this light? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'd like to know how it performs compared to other 21 or 24HID lights.

The beam from a 21W Darkbuster is not as focused as the tightest setting on my Salvo 21W, it also has a shorter burn time. It's a rather big handheld underwater light, it's pretty comparable in size to a UK D8.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd much prefer using getting the Salvo, but I don't really know where to attach batteries on my Zeagle Ranger.

Falco:
The beam from a 21W Darkbuster is not as focused as the tightest setting on my Salvo 21W, it also has a shorter burn time. It's a rather big handheld underwater light, it's pretty comparable in size to a UK D8.

Yeah, but the Salvo is 3 times the price!
Obviously, if you compare a $300 light with a $1000+ light you're going to see quite a difference.
I'd love a Salvo too, by the way!

It is so easy to focus the Darkbuster!
Just put a 1.8mm aluminium ring between the bulb and the reflector and you will have a pefectly focussed light! That is something we always do before we deliver those lights.

Michael

subzero:
Thanks for the feedback. I'd much prefer using getting the Salvo, but I don't really know where to attach batteries on my Zeagle Ranger.

It's quite simple, there is a diver who is currently using a Ranger and a Salvo 21W. He just uses the lower camband to mount the cannister inverted. When I got my Salvo, I still was using a LDS Ranger so I used an empty weight belt to mount the cannister, you can feel it a little but when you turn it on underwater and see that bright beam of light the discomfort suddenly disappears:D

I own a Darkbuster, I've never used any other 21 watt or 24 watt HID. Where I live the 21 watt and 24 watt cost the same. The 24 watt comes with a very wide beam for photographers and the 21 watt is narrower. I tried both and I took the 21 watt, I preferred the narrower beam focus for better distance penetration, I find it wide enough for decent coverage. I found the 21 watt has a bluer light and the 24 watt light was more yellow. Although the torch is about the same size as a D8 in the water the Darkbuster is practically weightless. As dive lights go, the Darkbuster retails for near enough the same price as a rechargeable UK D8 or light cannon and has comparable build quality, but its far more powerful. Obviously this is not a torch built for the extreme diver. For the moderate depth non deco diver I think it's currently the best light you can buy in its price range. Its quite quick to recharge and I can also recharge it from my car. I've used a Darkbuster regularly in the 30-40m range, as a dive light it is a considerably improvement over the D8 and the light cannon I previoulsy used. I find the burn time of a single charge is more than adequate for 2 single cylinder dives of +-40min dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom