Bright colored wetsuits, since sharks like dark-colored seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yum yum yellow won, err... lost. Sharks liked it.

NetDoc:
I wonder why they call it "Yum Yum Yellow"??? :D
:shocked:

i can advise that depsite 10yrs of diving with a wetsuit with yellow highlights, yellow fins, mask & snorkle, bright yellow scrungy in my hair and now a drysuit with yellow highlights i have yet to be bitten by a shark

of course... being referred to as a telletubbie is constant :lotsalove:

cheers :D

green swimsuit, dark blue/grey long sleeve rash guard, me and the wife in the water, kids on the boat yelling "BULL SHARK" it swam around me several times, as the wife was getting on the ladder...bull shark hit my leg for a taste (can you say POOP YOUR PANTS??). went back to the same spot the next day. nothing scarey.

dano

I wonder if they started with yellow, then red then black, if that would change anything.

It's like this: I see a hot girl, and walk by her. I see her again, wearing a different outfit and walk by but say hello. A while later I see her again in yet another outfit and this time we chat for a while and then I even go so far as to call her on the phone.

Was it the outfit that prompted me to try to get at her, or the fact that I've seen her several times and decided I should go for it?

That said, I wouldn't date a yellow girl.

(that's not meant to be a racial slur or anything. There are black people, but yellow people don't exist. Red people only exist when white people forget sunscreen, as a good friend of mine attested last week. Beet red. I thought she was a lobster.)

hollywood703:
There was just a show on the discovery channel during shark week about this very thing......Colors tested were Black, Red , and Yellow. The Black the Shark (believe it was a bull shark) didnt even look twice at it, the red it went to take a look but didnt have any aggression, and yellow it tried to take a bite out of, even thru the cage. it was very informative.

It was sort of fun to watch - I'll watch anything on diving, especially in HD. But in terms of proper scientific method, which was essentially non-existent, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from their results. It would be interesting if someone would do a proper scientific study on this with proper control samples, statistical hypothesis testing, etc. Of course that would make for really boring TV.......

There are non-shark reasons I would like to have a variety of colors available - #1: When you are on a boat, there is always just a big pile of black STUFF of various makes and sizes. It is a relief when someone is the "Yellow guy" or the "pink girl" and we can just eliminate their items from the messy pile. I would love to just have purple, green, and orange stuff for fashion/identification/visibility reasons, regardless theories on sharks.

Mythbusters just reciently did a show on if sharks would attack with dolphins around. They dragged this cardboard cutout of a sea lion around (painted black), and the great whites attacked the "sealion". I never thought they would go for a piece of black cardboard, but it worked. So, black as an anti-shark thing - don't think so.

BTW, the sharks didn't attack when the fake dolphin was around. Maybe we should look like dolphins. :)

BTW, the sharks didn't attack when the fake dolphin was around. Maybe we should look like dolphins. :)

I resemble that remark!! :)

Back
Top Bottom