Brigade to BP/W conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there

Ive recently began thinking about switching from the Brigade BC to a BP/W option, mainly because ive been looking more at 'entry level' tech diving, but also because im having fitting problems with the brigade i have. I see you can get a Zeagle BP which comes with the fittings to attach a brigade wing, which looks good, but i was wondering how much of the original Brigade can be scavenged to use on the BP? I have the rear trim pockets- i think they might work as they have the grommets as attachment. Is the ripcord system interchangeable? if not, why? is it just a case of not having an appropriate attachment point, or something more?

Cheers for any info- much appreciated!

The bladder is usable with a BP by simply removing it and attaching it to the BP with screws and nuts.

Everything else on the BC is designed to work with the BC - not a BP.

The rear weight system could be modified to work, if you are crafty, but the ripcord weight system is sewn on the BC. You would basically have to rip apart the vest to get it off, and even then it would not be usable.

Scott

Hi Scott

Thanks for the info, pretty much what i thought.

Thanks for your help.

I currently need 36lbs diving in monterey with a drysuit (and pretty lofty undersuit)- anyone have any experience with switching from a weight integrated BC to a BP/W with that kind of weight? Where would i put all that weight on a BP/W set-up- on a belt? or bolted to the BP?

I don't carry that much weight but close and I JUST switched to a BP (still have the Brigade and love it as well).

Keep in mind that the plate will weigh a bit so you can drop that. Just depends upon SS or AL. If push comes to shove and you need more I have heard of divers zip tie ankle weights to the plate (not the tank valve). Between the trim pockets, the front pockets and the plate you shouldn't have any issue.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I really like the Brigade, but with the drysuit and undersuit, its a little bulky and ive been having difficulties. I might just keep it for warm water for when im in the Med visiting the folks. It packs down great and would be lighter to fly with than the ssBP

I have a similar scenario.

I started with a Brigade diving only in warm waters. As time went on, my wife and I began to dive in the colder waters here in Maine.

The issue I faced was that I also need about 40lbs of weight. This pushed the Brigade, with its limited lift, to the breaking point. Now, I could move some weight to a belt, but I have no ***** syndrome and they tend to slip off.

Initially, I purchased a Ranger bladder with the intent to swap it on the Brigade. The Ranger has 45lbs of lift, but I decided to build a BP as a second system.

I purchased the Deluxe Harness and Ripcord system for the BP. I even installed the rear pockets. The only problem there is you must fashion a clip to hold the upper part of the rear pockets to each other at the rear of the tank.

I try to split the weight 60%/40% front/rear, but in a pinch I’ve gone 50%/50%. The SS BP weight counts as rear.

I just bought the ssBP, DIR hoses (24inch on the octo though, as im doing singles) and the basic hog harness. Looking forward to getting it all wet in a couples of weeks

Thanks for the weight distribution info. Thats the ration i normally dive, but have been noticing that i tend to want to roll with the rear trim pockets at 40%. Having 6lbs on the bp right over the lungs will be great for reducing that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom