brief report: Outer chase reef kayak dive Sun 8/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
foggy and cool topside, entry at coral street very flat, outside of protected area had 4ft swells rolling thru. kelp anchored on outer chase in a spot with good topography per hand held gps coordinates noted from map.

Water dissapointingly green with only 8ft vis when I first submerged but improved to 10-12 after following kelp down to top of a rock at 35fsw and found myself surrounded by schools of young rockfish and also schools of large Blue and Black rockfish swirling around looking mysterious at the limits of my visability. Descending down the rock faces in to the channels between found me at 50-60fsw and visability improved to 20ft. Occasional Ling cod and several gopher, copper and black/yellow rockfish amongst the rocks.

Wasn't ideal conditions but ended up with a 62 minute dive on a AL 80. Enjoyed being back in the water, it had been a couple months. No video this dive. Usually the vigorous paddle back warms me up but this time the chill stuck with me until I had a couple cups of hot tea back on shore.

Took the kids for a kayak ride afterwards and spotted a few egg yolk jellies at the surface as well as the typical otters social gathering and harbor seals popping up here and there to stare at us.

-Ken Loomis

Back
Top Bottom