brief report 7/5 Lover's point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove Lovers #3 Monday afternoon on the high tide.

A diver there reported to me just 6ft vis that morning on the low tide. I found it improved with the incoming tide to about 15-18ft. out in the 35-40fsw depth. The sun came out in the afternoon as well making for a very nice time hanging out at the point.

I was spearfishing and fish were very few and far between. Caught 1 nice sized Kelp rockfish however.

I witnessed sandy areas where on my approach, groups of thin silvery fish darted out from underneath the sand. They were probably 3-4 inches in length and about the with of a pencil. They were very fast and vanished quickly after emerging. I had never witnessed this before. Anyone know what they may have been?

-Ken

every time you spear fish kitten dies somewhere ....:(
there no fish to speak of around here left.

Did you check to make sure you were outside the marine protected zone around Lovers?

Ken,

Since when did you go from Photographer to Spearfisherman? I only remember your nice pics of the Monterey beauty....

MG

Last edited:
Ken,

Since when did you go from Photographer to Spearfisherman? I only remember your nice pics of the Monterey beauty....

MG

Hi Mike,

I was a fisherman before getting into diving. I do very little hook n line fishing now and just spear occassionaly (usually when vis and surge are bad). I am pretty selective about what I take when fishing and follow DFG regs. That's the good thing about spearing, you can see it and decide whether or not to go after it. Hook and line is much more indiscriminate. On the other hand, some spearo's do seem to kill anything they come across and I don't approve of that at all. On Monday I saw a spearo come out from lovers#3 with a treefish on the stringer and it broke my heart. I saw a monkeyface prickleback on a stringer on a previous visit too, again, not cool.

Bringing back a Kelp or Blue for dinner that is legal sized is another matter. Spearfishing and photography/conservation don't have to be mutually exclusive IMO.

See you at the shop,
-ken

ps: I don't mind leaving the spear at home when we dive together if it bugs you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom